Justin Timberlake’s album sounds mature, yet edgy

Justin Timberlake dressed in a suit and tie after his new single. (MCT CAMPUS)

Justin Timberlake’s third album, “The 20/20 Experience,” got everyone talking and dancing with a surprising piece of work that has orchestral swirls and soft music transitions to each beat.

It has been nearly seven years since Timberlake released his second album, “FutureSex/LoveSounds.” But it was worth the wait.

Timberlake’s music career and sense of style has matured. Over the years, his style has evolved from ‘NSync’s curly haired leading man to the current fashionable multi-talented performer he is.
Timberlake began working on his new album in June 2012. He wasn’t sure what he had in mind for his new album. But his new album has a wide range of variety in the joys of music and marriage.

Timberlake released his first solo studio album, “Justified,” in 2002, followed by his second album, “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” in 2006.

His third studio album provides a different take and course from his second album.

“FutureSex/LoveSounds,” which was focused on sex and womanizing themes. But his third album concentrates on faithfulness and genuine love.

“The 20/20 Experience” has a mix of pop, soul and R&B. The album is full of neo-instrumentation and falsettos. His song “Suit & Tie” has a combination of classical and pop music.

The song gives reminisce of R&B music in the 1970s and 1980s. The song also gives a sensational beat and tune from the beginning of the song with an interesting transition to swinging groove with tinkling harps.

I like how the song has a nice classical beat to certain melodies in the music. Although the song begins with a slow hip-hop beat, guest artist rapper Jay-Z comes into the song with a spinning lyric that will make listeners’ bones groove. His lyrics set a captivating and an attractive verse about his fashion and lifestyle.

Since “FutureSex/LoveSounds” has a euro-dance-pop and an electronic style, “The 20/20 Experience” gives a memorable 70-plus minutes of futuristic R&B. The album has a more of a feel and enthusiasm than his second album.

Timberlake comes back with a heavier full effect on his R&B vibes. His tracks “Strawberry Bubblegum” and “Spaceship Coupe” both have visionary and modernistic outlook on soul and R&B vibes.

“Strawberry Bubblegum” concentrates on love. The record engages listeners on love and relationship. The song has an electric pop harmony. The song also has slight similarities to his songs “My Love” and “LoveStoned/I Think She know” in his second studio album.

“LoveStoned” is an upbeat dance song with the contrast of “I Think She Knows,” which has slower melodies and harmonies and guitar-driven sound. “My Love” relates to “Strawberry Bubblegum” because it talks less about marriage but has more of an approach towards love.

The song also reminds me of the verse, “Pop” in ‘N Sync’s third studio album, “Celebrity”.

The verse “and the music’s all you got, come on now, this must be, pop” is reminiscent of the track “Strawberry Bubblegum.” The word “pop” gives off a fun-edgy beat.

The sixth track, “Spaceship Coupe,” has a captivating guitar solo with soul and R&B tunes. The song is made for lovers that want to compassion. Timberlake introduces the song with a strong verse about flying away with his lover.

The song has a killer guitar solo with a strong base and hook. The lyrics and tune have sensual and groovy melodies about love. I found it interesting how the song gives a sensational feeling of slow jam.

The music on Timberlake’s new album had many song varieties throughout. The beats and rhymes were interesting and original.

Timberlake plans to release a follow-up record with 10 tracks in November of 2013. The comeback album was only the first half of the experience.