Police conducting investigation at the Graduate Chemistry building

The area surrounding the traffic loop outside the graduate chemistry building was closed in the morning of Friday, March 1, due to a police investigation into the death of a former student.

The death was found to be non-criminal in nature, according to Suffolk County Police.

The cause of death has not been determined, and the university has declined to comment further out of respect for the family.

Wednesday, March 5, 6:40 p.m.  The university has declined to comment further on the victim’s identity out of respect for the family.

“Please know that as a campus, we mourn this loss and our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this most difficult time,” university officials said.

Friday, March 1, 12:58 p.m. Stony Brook University President Samuel L. Stanley sent an email to the campus community announcing that a former male student was found unresponsive outside of the Graduate Chemistry building early this morning. According to Stanley, the former student was taken to the Stony Brook University Hospital and pronounced dead.

Stanley also said the former student’s family has been notified.

Friday, March 1, 10:55 a.m. Suffolk County Police Department confirmed that the incident was a non-criminal death.

Suffolk County Police were called to the chemistry building at Stony Brook University to investigate a crime scene.  Police examined a van at the scene. (JESSICA SUAREZ / THE STATESMAN)
Suffolk County Police were called to the chemistry building at Stony Brook University to investigate a crime scene. Police examined a van at the scene. (JESSICA SUAREZ / THE STATESMAN)

Friday, March 1, 10:44 a.m. Allison Zelnick, junior economics major, said she reported for her early shift at the Campus Recreation Center at 5:30 a.m. and at first did not see anyone outside.  According to Zelnick, police cars drove up to the chemistry building about 10 minutes later and responders ran into the building with stretchers.

According to the statement issued by Lenahan, the chemistry building is currently accessible through the main entrance and the Indoor Sports Complex and Rec Center are available by normal means.

Friday, March 1, 10:10 a.m According to an email sent to the campus community from the Office of Emergency Management, Lenahan said “there is no criminality suspected” and there is no threat to the community.

Friday, March 1, 9:50 a.m. The area surrounding the traffic loop outside the Graduate Chemistry building has been closed off due to an ongoing investigation by University Police, according to a statement by Chief of Police Robert J. Lenahan.

A pool of blood surrounded by a defibrillator, neck brace and other pieces of medical equipment was visible at the investigation scene.

Suffolk County Fire Rescue and Emergency Services Command responded, along with the Suffolk County and University Police departments.

University Police declined to comment as to the nature of the investigation.

Check back for updates.