Stony Brook men’s basketball defeat Hartford University

The Stony Brook men’s basketball team won its third conference game of the season on Saturday against the University of Hartford, defeating the Hawks 73-59. Four Seawolves scored more than 15 points in the game. One of the four, senior forward Tommy Brenton, had 10 rebounds as well, giving him a double-double.

The Seawolves are now 12-4 on the season and remain undefeated in conference play. It is the best 16-game start for the program in its Division-I history; they have won eight of their last 10 games.

It was a dominating performance from Stony Brook from a fairly early point in the game. From 4:44 into the game to the end, the Seawolves never surrendered the lead. Junior guard Dave Coley began a 12-point run for his team that created a deficit that the Hawks could not overcome. The Seawolves completed nearly two-thirds of their shots in the first half and had a 19-point lead at halftime.

The Hawks were able to slightly cut into Stony Brook’s advantage, but it wasn’t close to enough as the Seawolves continued to out-shoot and out-rebound them. Saturday’s game was the 33rd time in the last 40 games that Stony Brook has out-rebounded their opponent.

The Seawolves will next play at home against Boston University, the conference tournament champion from two seasons ago, at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.