Take full advantage of what the SAC has to offer

The SAC Ballroom hosts numerous events throughout the semester. (Jesus Pichardo)

The Student Activities Center is an everyday pit-stop for a meal for most students. While many students opt to grab their meals and get back to class or study groups, there is more to do at the SAC then just grab a bite and run.

For those who like to wind down and relax after a long day, the three lounges do just that.

While the SAC is filled during the peak hours of the day, the best times to use the space would be after class hours or early in the morning.

The skylight lounge on the third floor is a good place to escape noise and loquacious students as they trickle in and out through the day. The space is clean and helps you focus on the work at hand.

If the third floor is too much effort to reach, there are other places too: the commuter commons and the traditions lounge are also places you can eat, study or read. From study groups and meetings, you can do a lot more than just school work here.

The weather changes can be unpredictable these days, but on those occasional sunny days, try and grab a bench at the Sculpture Garden to soak in the sun or just enjoy some “me time.”

If you like cooking, then you’re in luck. Renowned chefs are on campus in the various dining halls, including the SAC, Monday through Thursday until  the end of October. Topics include: how to make pumpkin soup, crème brulee and seafood casserole, among other mouthwatering offers.

Also, commemorating annual Food Day will be the farmer’s market sale in front of the SAC in the Academic Mall.

The SAC also has an ATM machine on the first floor. If you have family or friends visiting during the year, then the Seawolves marketplace is good spot to pick up Stony Brook merchandise. While in the store, ask about the coffee selections that are freshly brewed to order.

The SAC lobby space often transforms into a free hot chocolate event or hosts flea market vendors. Make sure you try and walk through the lobby—because most times, many people miss out on the interesting activities here.

The SAC auditorium is a hotspot for interesting guest speakers through the year. Most recently, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Sara Ganim took to the stage to share her experiences of reporting on the Jerry Sandusky case. Most times, these events are free and offer students the opportunity to receive class credit.

The Student Activities Center is a one-stop place to get a day’s worth of work done. Its proximity to the library and the bus stop helps students move around with ease and get to class in time. October would not be complete without Halloween specials. If you have not decided what you’re doing, then head over to the SAC for the 31 night Halloween Bash.

Next time you are at the SAC, remember to stay a while longer and explore beyond the obvious.