Stony Brook tradition kicked off homecoming activities

Stony Brook’s “H Quad” performs at the showcase on Friday evening on the Staller Steps. Nina Lin/The Statesman

Some of Stony Brook’s most talented students performed Friday night to show off their skills and Stony Brook swagger at the Seawolves Showcase. By the time the event started at 7:30 p.m., there was no room to sit on the Staller Steps. The newly arriving attendees had to fill the Staller Terrace.

Hosted by Mic Barber and DJ Spynfo, this year’s Showcase featured a wide range of performances including dancing, stepping, singing and creative skits performed by clubs, sororities, fraternities and residential quads.

Homecoming banners hung from the railing and Stony Brook’s logo was projected onto the building.  Free hand clappers and red glow sticks were given out at the event’s start.

More than 20 acts performed, making this a special night for Stony Brook.

The energetic host demanded the students make some noise as the marching band came out to kick off the night. The band got the crowd going as it played marching band classics and an instrumental version of Maroon 5’s “Moves Like Jagger.”

“It’s a really great way to show school school pride and unite everyone before the big game,” Bill Dwyer, a freshman electrical engineering major and member of the marching band, said.

Wagner resident assistant Anthony King rapped during Roosevelt Quad’s skit, and he called his quad’s act “da bomb.” He and the rest of his quad performed a skit of Stony Brook University’s most famous traditions, such as the Roth Pond Regatta, all to a Legend of Zelda theme. Performances by Stony Brook’s belly dancing team, the Stony Brook Pipettes and Philippine United Student Organization (PUSO) modern were just some of the night’s other highlights.

During the Showcase, Stony Brook mascot Wolfie joined Red Man, a performer in a full-body red spandex suit, in making rounds through the crowd, pumping it up for the homecoming weekend. Barber also visited the crowd, allowing students to give shout-outs.

Stony Brook’s marching band returned for ‘halftime’ to introduce the hopefuls for homecoming queen and king and were then followed by the football team who took center stage. Head coach Chuck Priore addressed the audience and said that “on behalf of the team and on behalf of the athletic department, I really want to thank you for your support,“ generating cheers from the crowd.

Whether or not this year’s Seawolf Showcase was as good as last year’s, this SBU tradition had a good turnout and the red hot night was just what Stony Brook’s students needed to get pumped up for the homecoming game.

The popular dance group PUSO Modern caught in a dramatic pose at the end of its performance. Nina Lin/The Statesman