Local Thai restaurant serves traditional recipes

Centara Thai Cuisine, located across from the Stony Brook train station, is a nearby option for students looking to eat off campus. Efal Sayed/The Statesman

For the ardent foodie, Stony Brook University’s campus dining options can sometimes get dull and monotonous. Do not worry, however, for there are plenty of restaurants and interesting pit stops around the corner, and they are just a hop, skip and jump from the Stony Brook train station.

Located strategically at the junction of North Country Road and Quaker Path, Centara is hard to miss. The name cleverly explains the location: “to be in the center,” translated from Thai.

I walked inside and was surrounded by a clean, bright space painted in light tones of pistachio green. A couple of Thai artifacts at the entrance added a touch of decoration. The light musical tunes of Thai music set the mood.

The menu has a good selection of all courses from starters to entrees. Owner and chef Arty has ensured that the menu stays true to his Thai roots and his family’s long guarded culinary secrets. From pad Thai, massaman curry and the signature basil chicken dishes, Arty says every item on the menu is made with authentic Thai ingredients and the freshest produce from the market.

After taking my seat at the table, I opted to order a plate of spring rolls while I waited for my main course. Arty has been in the food and beverage industry for twenty years, and he knows what sells. With an air of confidence he dismisses any talk of competition and says, “I’ve covered the territories.”

Within a few minutes, I was presented with three crispy golden brown spring rolls that were still piping hot to hold. The sweet plum sauce on the side was a perfect complement to the stuffing of thinly shredded Asian vegetables. Remembering some rather terrible experiences with spring rolls in the past, I cautiously bit into mine only to be pleasantly reassured that it was good indeed. I had just nibbled my way through the second roll when my main course arrived.

Susan Nitmait is the head chef at Centara Thai Cuisine

I ordered a spicy chicken gravy with fresh vegetables and rice. The portion size was impressive considering I was a single diner on this occasion. I love vegetables a tad bit more than I prefer meat, so this dish satiated my taste in both regards. The steaming hot meal was fresh, had a home cooked feel and, believe it or not, I had leftovers.

Portion size here is above average, and it is a better option to order more and share as that way you get to taste the varieties and pick your favorite. Centara is a student friendly restaurant that ensures Stony Brook students get a 10 percent discount on their final bill.

Centara, like many restaurants in the local area, does have its share of slow days, but, as students move in for fall classes, the business automatically picks up. Arty’s love for food made him open Thai Gourmet at Port Jefferson’s Carmin Plaza. If you live near Miller Place, then Sabai is another of Arty’s restaurants.

Centara does not, however, do home deliveries, owing that fact to snow days and the shortage of reliable workers. It is a good place to visit with friends or have some quality time on your own. Centara undertakes catering orders for parties and functions, and Arty adds that the food is primarily gluten free.

My bill was around the average price of a meal, drink and dessert at Jasmine.

Centara is open all days for lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and for dinner from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. It does not serve alcohol.

Koh Hai Cha-roen Ar-harn! (Bon appetit).