Having fun in college: a guide to Stony Brook campus life

University life: BFFs, prolonged lectures, test-induced nail biting and knotted nerves.
Student life at Stony Brook University is a lot like unwrapping a gift box; the excitement builds as you inch closer to revealing what is inside.
With a campus spanning more than 1,400 acres, this place is filled with unexpected bursts of activities and an A to Z list of clubs students can be a part of.

Where do I start?

Start at the center; take a walk from the Melville Library to the Administration building and the tantalizing aromas of Jasmine will lure you through the doors of the Charles B. Wang Center. Recreating a Zen garden-like tranquility, the stark contrast in architecture is soothing here, making it a good place to find “me” time.   While you soak your senses in the Asian culture and cuisine, be wary of the slightly pricy food: it can pinch your budget.
For those of us who need our meals to go, the Student Activities Center and Student Union Deli offer up a wide variety of food with an easy check out. The best part: you can make use of your ID card for more than just access zones. Put cash on your card and swipe it to earn bonus points; a big plus! If you’re a campus resident, don’t fret over where you could grab a bite over the weekend; both places are open on weekends.

Need a fresh air fix?

The undulating bike paths and walkways are perfect for breathing in the clean, crisp air. Skip the boring bus rides and instead explore the campus on foot. On the other side of the LIRR is Stony Brook itself, a quiet town worth biking through where you can also indulge in the select few restaurants. If you want to rent a bike, there’s a store just a couple of meters away from the station. Better yet, jump onto the train and hop off at Port Jefferson, a good weekend hangout spot. From the foot tapping notes of the jazz bars to the lip-smacking good seafood, the streets of Port Jeff (as it is referred to by the student body) are both eclectic and exciting.

Burning the midnight oil

Study time can be monotonous, but break it up with picking different spots every other day to study. The Melville Library and the Student Union are good places to get some real work done. The most important feature these locations offer are the “SINC” sites.  These computer labs allow students to print work and make for a (usually) quiet place to study.

“Lights, camera, action”

Who doesn’t love watching movies and theatre? The Staller Center for the Arts keeps its schedule crisp and engaging; global films earn an audience at the film festival, unique scripts get a stage and talented musicians play the right notes. The choice is yours. Keep tabs on the bulletin boards around the campus and the campus emails so that you keep your activity calendar filled in.

Whatcha waiting for?

As the semester madness unfolds, make sure you get yourself into as many clubs as you can, and explore more than you anticipate to.