CONCERT SERIES: Billy Joel

Date of the show: October 11, 1976
After 1976…

Billy Joel is the sixth best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States. After 1976, Joel recorded The Stranger, which yielded four top-25 hits and was certified multi-platinum. It was his first-ever Top Ten album and reached No. 2 on the charts. It also won Joel two Grammys for Record of the Year and Song of the Year (for “Just the Way You Are”).

Joel’s next album was met with very high expectations, and he delivered – 52nd Street became his first No. 1 album, selling seven million copies on the strength of such hits as “My Life,” “Big Shot” and “Honesty.” 52nd Street also became the first album to be released on compact disc. Joel continued to churn out albums and Top 40 hits in the 80s and 90s. He wrote all of his Top 40 hits himself.

He has sold over 150 million records worldwide and is a six-time Grammy Award winner and 23-time Grammy nominee. He was inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in 1992, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999 and the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2006.

Despite the fact that he stopped recording pop/rock music after River of Dreams in 1993, Joel still continues to tour extensively.