Defense beats offense 39-13 in spring football game

Senior wide receiver Kevin Norrell celebrated a touchdown in Saturday’s spring football game in the rain. Frank Posillico/The Statesman

Stony Brook football held its annual spring football game on Sunday at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The game, which is just Stony Brook offense versus defense (red), ended with the offense (white) topping the offense 39-13, in a modified scoring system. Due to the inclement weather the game was cut short, just before the beginning of the fourth quarter.

The team brought in a few faces, most notably junior running back Marcus Coker and sophomore wide receiver Adrian Coxson. Coker did not get into the game along with senior running back Miguel Maysonet, but Coxson did see some playing time. “I’ve never played my starting running backs in the spring games. Maysonet didn’t play,” Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore said. “He didn’t play last year, didn’t play year before that. I never play them in these games. I never play them in live situations in the spring.”

Without Coker and Maysonet playing, that meant more time for sophomore backup running back Davon Lawrence. Lawrence, a former Division I Player of the year in Suffolk County for Sachem North, ran for 92 yards and a touchdown to lead the offense. Senior Kevin Norrell caught five passes for 61 yards and a touchdown, in a game where running the ball was the dominant focus.

Senior Kyle Essington did complete 10 of 16 passes for 174 yards and the touchdown pass to Norrell. “It’s tough but you just have to make the best of what you got and put your best effort forth,” Essington said.

Even though the team is clearly a strong running team, it is still looking to pass the ball to balance it attack. “That’s the way our offense is built, is to pass the ball off of the play action and it opens up really nicely,” Essington said. “With the addition of Coker, I think we are going to have a really strong running game as always, and our passing game will fit in really nicely. I think we’ll have a really successful year throwing the ball.”

Senior Jordan Gush caught two passes, with one being a 55-yard reception in the beginning of the second quarter.  Junior Lyle Negron completed four of seven passes for 58 yards, including a 37-yard pass to junior Myles Campbell.

The Stony Brook defense was led by redshirt freshman Naim Cheeseboro, who led the team with nine tackles. Senior Dan Mulrooney and sophomore Janna Chukumerije each recovered a fumble on defense. The only big run they gave up was a 76-yard run by Lawrence. “I think we did pretty well. We gave up a few big plays. Penalties here and there, too, kind of killed us a little bit,” senior defensive lineman Jonathan Coats said. “The group of guys are young, but I think we played well.”

Redshirt freshman Victor Ochi had six tackles, including two sacks.

The first game for Stony Brook will be on Sept. 1, when it will take on Central Connecticut. It will be the Seawolves first season-opening game at home since 2008.

-Reporting by Amy Streifer