Stony Brook softball defeats Maine; Cukrov breaks shutout record

Photo courtesy of Stony Brook Athletics

The Stony Brook University softball team and its freshman pitcher Allison Cukrov picked up two victories on Saturday afternoon against the University of Maine Black Bears. With the victories, Cukrov broke the school record for shutout victories and won her 20th game of the season.

Both were close games; Stony Brook won the first 3-0 and narrowly took the second 1-0. It was in the first victory that Cukrov broke the record of 11 she had recently jointly held with former pitcher Alyssa Struzenberg.

She struck out seven batters in each game and allowed only nine hits.

Stony Brook is now 31-11 overall and 10-1 in conference play, which is first place in the America East standings.

In the opening game, the Seawolves took hold of the lead from early on. Senior outfielder Suzanne Karath hit an RBI single off of Maine starter Ashley Kelley in the second inning.

The score remained 1-0 until the sixth inning, when sophomore infielder Jessica Combs hit a two-run double. That was all the scoring for that game.

The Seawolves once again scored in the second inning of game two. With one out in the inning and a Karath on third base, senior infielder Lauren Maloney hit a ball into the air towards left field. Maine’s left fielder, however, dropped the ball, and Karath on third came in to score. Maloney made it to second base and later took third, but she was unable to reach home.

Both pitchers allowed only six hits in the game, and there would be no other runs apart from Karath’s.

With her victory in game two, Cukrov became Stony Brook’s third pitcher to win 20 games in a season, joining Struzenberg, who did it three times, and Angela Andrews, who achieved that in 2004.

The two teams will finish off the series on Sunday morning at 11 p.m.