Stony Brook softball loses doubleheader to Rutgers

The Stony Brook University softball team lost both games of a doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon to the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights, dropping the first game 4-0 and the second one 6-1. The opening loss was Stony Brook’s first at home in eight games on site.

The first game of the day was primarily a duel between two freshmen pitchers: Allison Cukrov of Stony Brook (27-11) and Alyssa Landrith of Rutgers. There was no score for six innings; however, Rutgers made the one offensive highlight of the game when Brittney Lindley hit a two-out grand slam past the centerfield wall, giving her team the 4-0 advantage that would turn out to be the final score.

The loss ends Cukrov’s 13-game winning streak. She allowed six hits and struck out seven.

It did not take as much time for runs to score in the second game. The Scarlet Knights scored two runs in each of the first two innings. They would score six overall, scoring the final two runs of the game in the sixth inning.

The Seawolves would score a run of their own in this game. In the fifth inning, freshman outfielder Shayla Giosia hit a single into center field, scoring senior outfielder Suzanne Karath. Giosia had five hits on Tuesday in five at bats. She has a team-high .383 batting average and leads the Seawolves in multiple offensive categories.

Stony Brook will next play Bryant University at home in a doubleheader on Thursday. The first game will start at 2 p.m.