Baseball strong in past week, takes five of six games

Stony Brook (24-10, 5-2 AE) baseball split their doubleheader on Sunday with Albany and finished the week with a 5-1 record. Junior Tanner Nivins went 3-for-4 with two RBI to lead Stony Brook to a 6-4 victory. The Great Danes rallied in the second game for a 7-6, 10- inning victory.

Junior William Carmona had six hits in the doubleheader and had four RBI in the second game. Junior James Campbell allowed just one run in 2.1 innings of relief to earn the win in the first game.

Albany scored three runs in the third inning to take an early lead in the first game. Stony Brook tied the game in the fourth inning, which was highlighted by a two-run triple from freshman Cole Peragine. Peragine went 7-for-14 with four RBI in the series.

The Seawolves broke the 3-3 tie in the fifth inning off an RBI single from freshman Kevin Krause and a run-scoring double from Nivins. Albany got a run back in the sixth inning, but Stony Brook scored another in the seventh off an RBI single from Nivins.

Sophomore reliever Joshua Mason allowed a double to Mike Tirri to open the seventh inning, but retired the next three batters to end the inning and earn a save.

Stony Brook scored three runs in the first inning to take an early lead. They scored the first run on a sacrifice fly from junior Maxx Tissenbaum  and a two-run home run from Carmona. It was Carmona’s seventh home run of the season.

Carmona had an RBI single in the third inning before Albany scored a run in the fourth. Tissenbaum had another sacrifice fly in the fifth inning to put the Seawolves up 5-1. The Great Danes answered back two unearned runs in the sixth inning and one run in the seventh to pull within 5-4.

An RBI double from Carmona in the eighth inning put the Stony Brook lead back to two, but Albany tied the game in the bottom of the inning.

A scoreless ninth inning from both teams put the game into extra innings. After Stony Brook failed to score in the top of the 10th inning, Albany loaded the bases with one out in the bottom half.  D.J. Hoagboon had a walk-off single to give Albany their only victory of the series.

Senior Evan Stecko-Haley started the second game for Stony Brook and allowed just one earned run on five hits in six innings.

The team swept Albany on Saturday, with a combined 31 hits and 22 runs in the doubleheader.

The Seawolves won game one, 9-2, and game two, 13-3.

Senior Tyler Johnson started the

first game for the Seawolves, giving up just two runs in five innings.

Albany scored first, but Stony Brook put up six runs in the second, sending 10 batters to the plate and blowing the game open.

Albany tacked on another run in the fourth, but Stony Brook got two runs in the fifth after a sacrifice fly from sophomore Kevin Courtney and an RBI single from junior Travis Jankowski.

Jankowski had a combined four hits and five RBI’s in both games.

Stony Brook clinched the game when junior G.C. Yerry came in to pitch the final two innings, allowing no runs to score and giving Johnson the win.

The Seawolves started the second game hard, scoring two runs in the first off an RBI single from Carmona and a run-scoring double from Krause.

An RBI triple from freshman Cole Peragine and an RBI double from Tissenbaum helped add three runs in the second.

In the fourth inning, a run-scoring triple from Jankowski and a run-scoring single from Krause gave the Seawolves four more runs and the game.

Senior Pat Cantwell had three hits, and Carmona had four runs in the second game.

Earlier in the week, the Seawolves defeated the Iona College Gaels, 10-3, and the Marist College Red Foxes, 14-5, on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.

In Tuesday’s game, Krause and Peragine got three and two hits, respectively, with the latter also adding two RBI’s.

Krause hit an RBI single in the first inning, giving Stony Brook its first run of the game.

Iona then briefly took control of the game in the top of the fourth with a two-run home run from Colin Lyall.

The Gaels’ lead would not be secure for long, however, as the Seawolves scored four runs in the bottom of that inning. Peragine did the most damage when he hit a single with the bases loaded that scored two runs.

Stony Brook further padded its lead in the sixth inning by scoring another five runs. That would be all the scoring for the game.

As much success as Stony Brook  had in its first game of the week, it had even more in Wednesday’s game. The Seawolves scored 14 runs on 17 hits.Carmona was the star of the game, accumulating three hits and three RBI’s.

The score was tied as the game progressed into the bottom of the fourth, 2-2. However, the Seawolves used this chance to put the game entirely out of reach. They scored eight runs. Seven of them came with two outs. This inning effectively brought the game to an end.

Stony Brook’s next game is at home Wednesday against Rhode Island.