Student Profile: Luke Fontana

He is not your everyday triple threat, and he has the most cheerful, unforgettable laugh. From a distance, he appears to be an average college student, but he is not.  He loves to challenge himself.

“I love to be involved; I never want to wake up and not have something to do,” sophomore sociology major Luke Fontana said. “Luke Fontana is someone who wakes up every morning and thanks God that he has another day.”

Fontana’s hard work and personality brings forth a lot of success and many opportunities. He landed a winter internship off campus for the winter couture fashion week as a public relations intern for New York Fashion Week. Fontana managed to work the Waldorf Astoria fashion shows for fashion designer Edwin D’Angelo.

To go along with his position as hall council president of Dreiser College, Fontana dances with the PUSO Modern Dance Crew and serves on the executive board as co-founder and secretary of the Stand Up Charter, an organization that helps raise awareness and prevents bullying of those in the LGBT community. Stand Up Charter is currently trying to collaborate with the athletic department in promoting a widespread anti-bullying campaign.

“I was bullied a lot when I was younger because I was so enthusiastic, and a lot of people didn’t understand that,” Fontana said.

When he was a child, his father used to tell him to “grow up to be a good person, it doesn’t matter what labels people put on you.  As long as you can wake up and say, ‘I’m a good person,’ your life will have so many blessings.”

Not only is he involved in numerous organizations, but Fontana will also intern for the SSK (Shirley Strum Kenny) Arts Festival the week students come back from spring break. The festival promotes the arts at Stony Brook, named for SBU’s fourth president.

Fontana is a contemporary dancer, and his dance performance, part of an Afro-Brazilian dance ensemble, was on April 14. He is also choreographing a piece.