SBU’s LGBTA history and upcoming Drag Show

Last year’s LGBTA Drag Show swept in dancing, cheering and some single ladies’ swag. Yoon Seo Nam/The Statesman

Laura Drapkin is the treasurer of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgendered Alliance (LGBTA) community at Stony Brook University. She revealed a little bit about the group’s history and their motives, and she said that everyone who is a part of the LGBTQ, which stands for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgendered Queer or Questioning,  community is very welcoming.  This coming April, “We are going to have our Drag Show. It is an amazing night with all kinds of performances from students,” Drapkin said. The LGBTA will have its drag show on April 12 and 13 at 8:30 p.m. in the Tabler Arts Center Black Box Theater.

Atiba Rogers (AR): How long has the LGBTA been active on campus?

Laura Drapkin (LD): We have been a club on campus for a really long time. It’s hard to give an exact date, but some sources say 1974, but I think we were here in some form since the ’60s.

AR: What is the organization’s mission statement?

LD: Our mission is to provide a safe space for all members for the queer/LGBTQ community on campus and help educate the campus about LGBTQ issues.  Sometimes the word queer is used to encompass the whole community, but it is sorta up for debate. Due to it being a reclaimed word, it can still make some people feel uncomfortable.

AR: What kind of activities does the LGBTA community provide for students to become more engaged with the group?

LD: Our first event of the year is “Guess the Straight Person,” a panel in which audience members ask a panel of volunteers questions to try to guess their orientation. This sets a really fun tone for the year because it is lighthearted, but it also brings up the important issue of stereotyping. We also have Ducky Doolittle, a sex educator, talk about all different kinds of sex. Throughout the year, we have various speakers and dances as well as the amazing drag show April 12 and 13 this year.

AR: What is the nature of your relationship with your peers in the LGBTA?

LD: I’ve become really good friends with a lot of people in LGBTQ.  Having a commitment to the LGBTQ community is a really strong common bond that helped bring us together. Especially as a straight, cis-gendered woman, I have been able to learn so much from all the experiences members have shared.

AR: Are there any outreach programs?

LD: We work with CPO (Center for Prevention and Outreach) to help provide information about Safe Space training. We also meet with faculty to help push for more gender inclusive options such as preferred name options and gender neutral housing and bathroom facilities.  Mostly, we try to educate campus with speakers and events.

AR: What message would you like to spread?

LD: We want everyone to know that they are welcome. They can be straight, bi, pansexual, asexual, transgendered, intersex, gay or just curious. Anyone who is in support of these rights is welcome to join.

AR: Do you have any concerns; is there anything else you would like to add?

LD: I don’t really have any other concerns. Maybe just tell people where the office is and that they can find our office hours online at our Facebook group, and that they’re always welcome to drop by and hang out. We have lot of rainbows and condoms.