Women’s lacrosse defeats Marist College in Saturday’s matinee

Junior Claire Petersen had six assists in Saturday’s win. Efal Sayed/The Statesman

Stony Brook women’s lacrosse snapped a three-game losing streak and improved to 6-3 on the season, by defeating Marist College 17-5. Freshman Amber Kupres and junior Demmianne Cook each had four goals in the victory. Junior Claire Petersen had a goal of her own and six assists for the Seawolves.

The four goals were a career high for Kupres, who has recorded a hat trick four times this season. Cook recorded her sixth hat trick of the year, and now has 33 goals on the season. Junior Janine Hillier and freshmen Michelle Rubino and Kelly Kuerner each had two goals on the day. Sophomores Alyssa Cardillo and Jessica Romano added a goal apiece for Stony Brook.

The Red Foxes were led by Amanda Tuck’s two goals. Marist goaltender Ashley Casiano made 16 saves on 42 shots for the game. Stony Brook outshot Marist 42-11.
Stony Brook scored first, less than three minutes into the game. Kupres scored off a Petersen pass from behind the net. Cook then scored a free position goal, and  Kupres scored again off of another Petersen pass.

“We knew we wanted to move the ball quick, and get the offense at a good speed, we hit the open cutters and we played unselfish.”

Rubino made it 4-0 with an unassisted goal at 18:16. Marist  then netted two quick goals to cut the deficit to two.

Cook scored at 13:37, but Marist answered at 12:31 on Sabrina Mattera’s goal to make it 5-3. Stony Brook ended the half with three unanswered goals, one of them by Kupres off of another Petersen pass.

Tuck scored the first goal of the second half for the Red Foxes but Stony Brook put the game out of reach by scoring four unanswered goals. Romano scored from about 10 yards away, through defenders, to make it 12-4 in favor of the Seawolves.

“Beating Marist is definitely a boost of confidence that we needed, and hopefully, we go on a roll from here and continue to play the way we have been.”

Stony Brook’s next game is Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Iona. After that, Stony Brook begins conference play next Saturday at Binghamton.