Baseball takes three out of four vs Yale

Efal Sayed/The Statesman

Stony Brook baseball scored 23 runs on 23 hits in their doubleheader sweep of Yale on Sunday. The Seawolves hit three home runs in the sweep, a 13-2 victory in the first game, and a 10-0 win in the second.

Junior  Travis Jankowski reached base in all six of hit plate appearances, which included a home run and four runs scored. Juniors Maxx Tissenbaum and William Carmona also hit home runs in the first game, along with four hits and three runs batted in in the doubleheader.

Junior right-hander Jasvir Rakkar gave up just four hits in seven shutout innings to earn a victory in the second game. Senior Evan Stecko-Haley gave up two runs and six hits in 6.2 innings to pick up a victory in the opener.

Stony Brook scored three runs in the first inning of the opener, highlighted by Carmona’s two-run blast. Tissenbaum added a home run in the third inning and Jankowski had a two-run home run in the fifth inning, to put the Seawolves up 7-0.

Stony Brook put the game away when they scored six more runs in the sixth inning.  Stecko-Haley did not walk a batter and struck out seven in the victory.

The Seawolves scored early in the second game as well, scoring two runs in the first inning. Carmona had an RBI double and freshman Kevin Krause had an RBI single in the inning.

Stony Brook scored five runs in the fifth, by sending 10 batters to the plate. Tissenbaum and freshmen Steven Goldstein and Cole Peragine each had run-scoring hits in the inning.

The Bulldogs threatened with runners on second and third with no out in the first inning, but Rakkar managed to escape.

Rakkar struck out six and walked just one in the win.

Stony Brook baseball split their doubleheader with Yale on Saturday. Peragine drove in the go-ahead run in the 11th inning of the first game to give Stony Brook a 2-1 victory, but Yale came back and won the second game, 1-0 in seven innings.

The second game was shortened to seven innings because the first game went into extra innings.

Sophomore pitcher Brandon McNitt allowed just three hits, struck out eight and did not walk anyone in nine shutout innings. He has allowed just three earned runs in 30 innings this season.

Mason picked up the victory by pitching two innings of relief. McNitt and Yale starter Pat Ludwig each did not give up a run in the first eight innings.

Stony Brook knocked out Ludwig in the top of the ninth inning when Krause reached third

base with two outs. But Kevin Fortunato came in and got Tissenbaum to ground out to end the inning.

The Seawolves scored first in the top of the 10th inning when Carmona singled in a run. But the Bulldogs tied the game at one when Charlie Neil had a run-scoring single of his own.

Stony Brook came back and scored again in the top of the 11th when Peragine singled in Nivins after he doubled with one out.

Yale put runners on first and second base with one out in the 11th inning, but Mason got the last two batters out to escape the threat.

Vanderka allowed just two walks in five innings during the second game for the Seawolves. But Yale’s Cam Squires scored the eventual winning run in the sixth inning, off the Bulldog’s only hit. Squires walked, reached second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on David Toups single.

Stony Brook threatened to score in the seventh inning but came up short. Yale reliever Eric Shultz struck Jankowski and got Cantwell to fly out to right field to end the shortened second game.

Stony Brook did out-hit Yale 10-1 in the second game.

The team travels to Fordham on Tuesday.