Baseball splits Dairy Queen Classic

Senior right-hander Tyler Johnson tied a Stony Brook record in an impressive fashion against Kansas on Friday. Johnson picked up his 25th career victory, which tied him with Jon Lewis ’05, by allowing just four hits in eight innings.

He also did not allow a runner past second base, struck out seven and only walked one in the victory.

Sophomore Frankie Vanderka pitched the ninth inning in a non-save situation and struck out all three batters he faced.

The Seawolves scored two in the first inning on a run-scoring double from senior Pat Cantwell and a single from junior Maxx Tissenbaum. Stony Brook added another run in the second as junior Tanner Nivins, tripled with one out and scored on a RBI groundout from freshman Cole Peragine.

Stony Brook added another run in the sixth when junior William Carmona doubled and scored on a sacrifice fly from freshman Kevin Krause. Tissenbaum went 3-for-4 in the opener.

The Seawolves fell 3-1 in the 14th inning of the second game of the doubleheader against Kansas. Jayhawk Connor McKay hit a two-run home run off of junior Jasvir Rakkar in the 14th to put Kansas up.

Vanderka gave up two hits in six shutout innings of relief in the second game. Sophomore Brandon McNitt started the second game and gave up just an unearned run on six hits in seven innings.

Kansas scored off an unearned run in the first inning and held it until the seventh. Carmona led off the inning with a double and scored on Krause’s one-out single. Vanderka was lights out in relief, as he retired 17 of the first 18 batters he faced.  Kevin Kuntz got the first Jayhawks hit with two outs in the 13 and Jordan Dreiling followed with one as well. But Vanderka escaped the jam and got Michael Suiter to pop up to second base to end the inning.

Stony Brook’s best chance at scoring came in the 12th inning as Tissenbaum, and Krause walked with only one out. But Jayhawks reliever Robert Kahana got Nivins and Peragine out to end the game.

Stony Brook threatened Kansas in the bottom of the 14th inning as it got runners on second and third with one out. However, Krause grounded out in an unconventional double play to end the game.

He grounded out to the shortstop, who threw to first baseman Zac Elgie, who then threw home to get Carmona out at home.

Kahana pitched five innings of scoreless relief to pick up the victory for the Jayhawks. Wes Benjamin started for Kansas and allowed just one run in nine innings.

Stony Brook continued its play in the Dairy Queen Classic on Saturday, when it fell to Minnesota 7-1. Carmona and Tissenbaum both picked up two hits in the game for the Seawolves.

TJ Oakes picked up the win for Minnesota, as he allowed just one run on 10 hits in 6.1 innings. Senior right-hander Evan Stecko-Haley took the loss as he gave up five runs in just five innings.

Minnesota scored a run in the third inning and then added three more in the fourth. Andy Henkemeyer hit a two-run inside-the-park home run in the inning.

Stony Brook scored their only run in the fifth inning on a single from Cantwell.

The Golden Gophers scored in the bottom half of the inning and finished off the Seawolves by scoring two more runs in the seventh inning. Henkemeyer and Dan Olinger led the Golden Gophers with two RBI apiece.

This was a huge game for junior William Carmona and gave Stony Brook baseball their second win of the Dairy Queen Classic. Carmona hit two home runs and pitched a scoreless ninth inning to earn a save. His solo shot in the seventh inning broke a 4-4 tie, which put Stony Brook at 2-2 in the classic.

Junior Jasvir Rakkar pitched four innings of scoreless relief to earn the victory for Stony Brook. Junior Maxx Tissenbaum had two hits and scored two runs, while freshman Steven Goldstein went 3-for-5. Stony Brook out-hit Minnesota 13-7 in the game.

Minnesota rallied to tie the game in the fifth inning at four, but Carmona’s home run put the Seawolves back up. Rakkar tossed a perfect seventh inning and pitched out of a jam in the eighth inning. He was able to get out of the inning, despite giving up a two-out triple.
Stony Brook jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, highlighted by Carmona’s two-run home run. The Golden Gophers got two runs back in the second inning and added two more in the fifth inning. This came after junior Travis Nivins had put Stony Brook up 4-2 in the top of the fifth inning.
Stony Brook (7-5) finished up the Dairy Classic 2-2 after splitting with Kansas and Minnesota at the Metrodome in Minnesota.
The Seawolves return home for their first home game Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. against Iona.