Men’s lacross gets first win under new coach against ranked opponent

It took a few tries, but the Jim Nagle era finally got its first win on Saturday against No. 18 Delaware.

Senior Robbie Campbell led the Seawolves with two goals and two assists. Junior Jeff Tundo had a game-high three assists, and senior Kyle Belton scored two goals coming off of the bench.

Stony Brook jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the first quarter, with Campbell scoring the team’s first two goals and senior Russ Bonanno also scoring.

However, Delaware’s Grant Kaleikau and Brenden Gilson would both score in the quarter’s final 15 seconds to tie the game up at three.

Delaware kept up its momentum in the second quarter, with Mark Yetter and Garrett Johnson both scoring within eight seconds of each other for a 5-3 lead.

It was the only lead Delaware would have. Stony Brook’s Belton scored twice in the final five minutes of the quarter to tie the game before halftime.

In the second half, freshman Mike Andreassi and sophomore Matt Bellando scored to give Stony Brook a 7-5 lead.

Delaware’s Kaleikau brought the Blue Hens to within one, but Stony Brook would hold on for the 7-6 win.

Stony Brook struggled on face-offs, winning only 4 of the 17 draws.

In the net, senior Ryan Keneally and junior Sean Brady split time, both playing for 30 minutes each. Keneally gave up five goals and made five saves, while Brady would be credited with the win, allowing only one goal and making four saves.

Stony Brook, which now has a 1-3 record, will next play against St. John’s at LaValle Stadium Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.