Stony Brook breaks multiple records in win over Gardner-Webb

It seems that as the season continues to progress, the Stony Brook football team gets bigger, stronger, and faster. After scoring 40+ points in their last five games, the Seawolves sent a message to next week’s opponents Liberty University with a record-breaking performance this past Saturday.

The Stony Brook football team demolished Gardner-Webb 76-28 at Spangler Stadium in Boiling Springs, North Carolina. This was Stony Brook’s seventh win in a row, a new Stony Brook record. The amazing 76 points, which looks more like an NBA score, breaks a Stony Brook and Big South record. In the past two seasons, Stony Brook has managed to impressively outscore Gardner-Webb 131-31.

Running back Brock Jackolski who finished with 14 carries for 107 yards, managed to break Big South records as well with five touchdowns. Jackolski used his fantastic running skills to score four rushing touchdowns, giving Stony Brook the third game this season where a player has rushed for four touchdowns in a game. Jackolski also caught a seven-yard touchdown from quarterback Kyle Essington.

Essington continues to show his consistency and dependability as a starter since taking over for injured senior Michael Coulter. Essington went 13 for 26 for 190 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Stony Brook’s third year quarterback found wide receivers Matt Brevi and Kevin Norrell for two touchdowns in the game. Norrell led all Stony Brook receivers in the game with five catches and 82 yards. This was Norrell’s third touchdown of the season.

This outstanding game gave Stony Brook a chance to showcase all of their talents that they possess. The wide receivers showed off their skills and the running backs once again proved that they are some of the best in the Big South conference.

Miguel Maysonet’s running game continues to be productive as he finished the game with 15 carries for 149 yards and a touchdown.

Every single aspect of the Seawolves football team shined in today’s game. Kicker Wesley Skiffington tied a Big South record when he made 10 extra points, a record he now shares with two other players.

The defense was exceptional and managed to force six turnovers. Dan Mulrooney finished with a game-high 12 tackles and Donald Porter caught two interceptions and now leads the squad with six for the season.

“Ever since the game at UTEP, this team has taken on the mentality of the next play,” Coach Chuck Priore said. “Our coaches have made the necessary adjustments, and our kids have executed them. Today was no different.”

Stony Brook has been steamrolling past competition and they will take on their toughest opponent yet in Liberty for their last regular season game of the year. The game will be a fight to win the Big South Championship and the winner will automatically receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs.

The game will be held at LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook at 3:30 PM.