Football wins sixth straight

With the offense’s high-octane running attack continuing at full force, Stony Brook beat Charleston Southern 50-31, thanks to a dominating 2nd quarter performance.

With the win, Stony Brook has extended their winning streak to six games, the longest in the school’s history.

Led by running backs Miguel Maysonet and Brock Jackolski, Stony Brook rushed for a total of 355 yards and scored six rushing touchdowns. It was the third time this season that the team rushed for more then 300 yards in a game.

Only 1:05 into the game, Stony Brook took a 6-0 on a 59-yard run by Maysonet . Skiffington missed the extra point attempt.

Charleston Southern would respond back and score the next 10 points, thanks to a 40-yard field goal from Andy Brown and a 1-yard rushing touchdown from running back Keelyan Bryant late in the quarter.

Stony Brook would blow the game open in the second quarter, scoring 21 unanswered points. Jackolski scored on a 5-yard run four minutes into the quarter, and Maysonet scored twice, the last touchdown with only 57 seconds left in the half.

Despite their poor performance in the second half, Charleston Southern kept on fighting. The teams would exchange touchdowns for the rest of the game.

In the third quarter, wide reciever Nathan Perera and tight end Carson Leshin scored receiving touchdowns for Charleston Southern, with Maysonet and quarterback Kyle Essington responding back with rushing touchdowns of their own.

Between the touchdowns, Stony Brook scored a safety after a botched Charleston Southern punt.

Charleston Southern’s Perera and Stony Brook’s Jackolski both scored touchdowns to round out the scoring in the 4th quarter.

With its running game running -7 yards total, the Buccaneers relied heavily on quarterback Richard Mounce’s arm for offense. Mounce completed 19 of 41 pass attempts for 342 yards.

For Stony Brook, Essington completed 6 of 12 pass attempts for 109 yards.

Jackolski recorded his 1,000th rushing yard of the season during the game, joining Maysonet as the second player on the team to hit that mark. It is the second straight season that the duo both rushed for 1,000 yards each.

With a conference record of 4-0 Stony Brook is tied for first place in the Big South with Liberty. They will travel to North Carolina to take on Gardner Webb next Saturday at 1:30 p.m.