It’s raining points: football wins five straight

Bad weather couldn’t stop the Stony Brook Seawolves football team on Saturday when it  demolished the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 42-0. This was the fifth win in a row for Stony Brook, which is now 5-3 on the season and 3-0 in the conference.

Snow and rain made it nearly impossible for quarterback Kyle Essington to complete any passes to the wet, slippery hands of wide receivers. Stony Brook finished with zero passing yards for the first time this season.

“Hands down this was the worst conditions I’ve ever played in,” said running back Brock Jacksolski, who finished with 22 rushes, 193 yards and one touchdown. “But that’s what northeast football is and you gotta love it.”

Lack of a passing game gave more time for running backs Miguel Maysonet and Jackolski to showcase their talents. Maysonet finished with 26 rushes, 191 yards and three touchdowns.

Maysonet scored two of his three touchdowns in the first quarter within two minutes of each other, giving Stony Brook a 14-0 lead. The successful rushing game for Maysonet against Coastal Carolina made him the 10th Big South player with 2,000 yards in his career.

“We did a great job on the ground today,” Maysonet said. “I was trying to hold the ball and make the most of my carries.”

Maysonet continued to be impressive with his carries for the remainder of the game. With 7:25 left in the third, Maysonet rushed for 26 yards and dove into the end zone, giving Stony Brook a 21-0 lead.

Stony Brook’s defense was strong on Saturday, allowing Coastal Carolina only 73 yards in the game. The Seawolves defense also took advantage of the weather and pounced on Coastal’s kicking team whenever they got the opportunity. Defensive lineman Jonathan Coats blocked a punt, picked up the ball and dashed two yards into the end zone for his second touchdown of the year. The defensive touchdown gave Stony Brook a 28-0 lead.

“Any given moment anything could’ve happened and that was my shot,” said 6 foot 4 inches, 250 lb Coats. “It was a great feeling and I gotta give credit to the rest of the defense because we definitely did what we had to.”

Jackolski had a swift 32-yard run for a touchdown with 13:22 left in the fourth quarter.

With the Seawolves’ leading 35-0, it seemed that a win was inevitable. Stony Brook’s record is 7-1 when Jacksolski and Maysonet have both scored touchdowns in a game. The dynamic duo have proved so far this season that they are very successful as alternating running backs.

“We complement each other,” said Jacksolski. “We are the one two punch and we have great chemistry on and off the field.”

Toward the end of the game, freshman JeVahn Cruz got the opportunity to show off his skills in the running back position. Cruz used his speed and agility to  make seven carries and 70 yards in the game against Coastal Carolina.

His touchdown came after an impressive 43-yard run, jetting through the Chanticleers’ defense.

“He’s very talented,”  said head coach Chuck Priore of Cruz’s notable 2011-2012 performance. “He’s just gotta  be ready if his number is called.”

Stony Brook’s rushing game has been prominent and remarkable this season. Rain and powerful wind gusts didn’t stop the running backs from showing off on the ground.

“It’s a philosophy,” said Coach Priore of his team’s outstanding running game. “It’s what we do here. It’s what we think we can win championships with.”

Stony Brook will head down to Charleston, South Carolina for  its next game, where it will take on Charleston Southern, which has yet to win a game this season. The game will be broadcasted by WUSB 90.1 FM, and the two Big South conference teams will kickoff at 1:30 PM