Stony Brook women’s tennis suffers winless tour in Connecticut

Cornelia Bruu-Syversen on the backswing during practice on Jan. 29. Bruu-Syversen won both of her singles matches this past weekend. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

After winning its first match of the year last Saturday, the Stony Brook women’s tennis team had a tough week this time around.

The Seawolves (1-4) endured a winless stay up in Connecticut this past weekend, as they dropped a pair of matches to the University of Connecticut Huskies (5-2) and the Quinnipiac Bobcats (3-3). Stony Brook’s weekend began on Friday with a 5-2 loss to UConn before ending with a 4-3 defeat to Quinnipiac on Saturday.

On Friday, the Seawolves failed to take the doubles point against the Huskies. Kristi Boro and Elena Lobo-Corral were defeated by Maria Constantinou and Olivia Wright 6-3, while Mia Palladino and Debby Mastrodima were shut out by Caroline Hinshaw and Isabel Petri Bere 6-0.

Although Cornelia Bruu-Syversen and Dasha Perfiliev’s match against Isabella Asnov and Nansi Toskova went unfinished, UConn’s tandem led 5-2.

Stony Brook’s two points came from Bruu-Syversen and Mastrodima in fifth and sixth singles, respectively. After dropping the first set 7-6, Bruu-Syversen defeated Asenov 7-5 by taking the tiebreaker 7-5. Bruu-Syversen won the final set 10-8 to take the point.

Mastrodima’s match against Victoria Matos started with her taking the first set 6-3. Matos followed with a 6-4 win to send it to a third set, but Mastrodima pulled off a 6-4 win of her own to earn the point.

Palladino and Lobo-Corral’s singles matches also took three sets. Palladino won the first set 7-5, but Wright responded with 6-2 and 6-3 victories in the second and third sets to earn the point. At second singles, Constantinou bookended her match against Lobo-Corral with 6-3 set victories after dropping the middle game 6-4.

Perfiliev saw a rough fate against Hinshaw, falling 6-3 and 6-0. However, Boro had it worse against Petri Bere, who swept her 6-0 in back-to-back sets.

Despite the loss, head coach Thiago Dualiby remained optimistic about the effort of his players.

“We had some very good performances and really battled in singles today,” Dualiby said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “In doubles we are putting in work and making adjustments, however, the process of mastering changes takes time.”

Saturday’s doubles matches against the Bobcats told a similar tale to Friday. Boro and Lobo-Corral dropped their first match against Jordan Bradley and Anagha Shankar 6-4. Mastrodima and Palladino fell 6-4 as well against Caitlin Flower and Caroline Schulson.

Bruu-Syversen and Perfiliev got the chance to finish their match, but were bested by Ella Lewis and Nikole Lisovyy 6-3.

Bruu-Syversen earned her team a point in fifth singles against Dominique Yeo. They exchanged 6-4 set victories, but Bruu-Syversen closed the match by winning the final set 6-3. Boro won third singles in nearly-identical fashion, as she and Schulson traded 6-4 sets before she won the third set 6-3.

Palladino rounded out the Seawolves’ singles success stories. Against Shankar, Palladino took the first set 6-4 before dropping the second set 7-6 with a 7-4 tiebreaker. However, Palladino triumphed 6-4 in the third set to pick up the win.

Although Sara Medved lost to Bradley, the two had a very strenuous match, forcing every set into a tiebreaker. Bradley grabbed the first set 7-6, with a 7-2 tiebreaker. Medved took the second game 7-6 by winning the tiebreaker 7-4. The third set ended with identical scores, but this time, Bradley came out on the winning side to earn the point.

In fourth singles, Perfiliev was defeated 6-4 by Flower in both sets. In second singles, Vera Sekerina was victorious over Lobo-Corral 7-6 with a 7-3 tiebreaker in the first set before closing it out 6-3 in the second.

Once again, Dualiby was unfazed by the loss and showed pride in his players for competing hard.

“It was a thrilling close match,” Dualiby said. “I’m really proud of the way we competed tonight regardless of the result. We showed a lot of grit all the way.”

Stony Brook will look to bounce back next weekend in New Jersey. On Friday it will compete with the Seton Hall Pirates, who are 2-2 this season following a 4-3 loss to Bucknell on Saturday. The match is set for 6:45 p.m.