Stony Brook women’s tennis held pointless in first spring 2024 match

Kristi Boro returns a serve in practice on Monday, Jan. 29. Boro won eight games during her singles match on Friday, which was the most on the Stony Brook women’s tennis team. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

In its first-ever match under new head coach Thiago Dualiby, the Stony Brook women’s tennis team started things off on the wrong foot.

The Seawolves (0-1) faced the Army Black Knights (4-2) in West Point, N.Y. on Friday and were swept 4-0. Stony Brook was overmatched in both doubles and singles play, as its most competitive individual efforts wound up not even counting.

The Seawolves started the afternoon by dropping the doubles point, with Kristi Boro and Elena Lobo-Corral kicking it off by falling to Paige Herremans and Cooper Jackson 6-2. After Boro and Lobo-Corral’s loss became finalized, Kira Diaz and Cornelia Bruu-Syversen were defeated by Ylan Duong and Emma Sy 6-2 to clinch the doubles point for Army.

The duo of Debby Mastrodima and Mia Palladino fared much better against Carolyn Ahn and Vennmukiil Mathivanan, as they only trailed 4-3. However, Mastrodima and Palladino’s combined effort went unfinished, as Duong and Sy had already secured the doubles point during their match.

Despite the losses, Dualiby was not disappointed by his doubles tandems.

“We had some good moments in doubles,” Dualiby said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “Credit to Army’s players and coaches for their performance today and we got to see what we need to work on in preparation for next weekend.”

Similarly to doubles, the singles matches were essentially all washes. In her match against Paulina Feoli, Bruu-Syversen dropped the first set 6-4 and was shut down in the second set 6-2. Mastrodima lost to Emily Ruckno in back-to-back 6-1 sets. Diaz went scoreless in a pair of 6-0 losses to Ahn, clinching three singles points and the team victory for the Black Knights.

Palladino, Lobo-Corral and Boro’s singles matches all ended before completion of their second sets. Palladino dropped the set 6-3 against Jackson while Boro fell to Herremans by the same score. Lobo-Corral lost her set against Duong 6-2.

When the match was called, Boro was beating Herremans in the second set 5-3 while Lobo-Corral was ahead of Duong 3-2. Palladino was one game behind Jackson, as she was trailing 3-2 in the second set once Army locked down the win.

Dualiby said that part of Stony Brook’s struggles stemmed from poort starts in singles matches.

“Army has a strong team and played very solid tonight,” Dualiby said. “In singles, we took a little while to get going which made it tough for us to come back.”

The Seawolves will look to bounce back next week up in Connecticut when they take on the Sacred Heart Pioneers at 11 a.m. on Friday and the Fairfield Stags at 6 p.m. on Saturday. The Pioneers are 2-1 this spring after beating Rider 4-0 this past Sunday. As for the Stags, they are 0-1 after losing 6-1 to the University of Connecticut on Wednesday.