A day of song, dance and nostalgia at “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour”

A graphic showing the different eras of pop artist Taylor Swift’s albums. The “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” film screened in theaters Oct. 13. ILLUSTRATED BY ANGELINA LIVIGNI/THE STATESMAN

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” graced screens on Oct. 13, 2023 and earned more than $200 million at box offices around the world. Taylor Swift, in all her greatness, did not disappoint in this musical documentary.

In the film, Swift mesmerizes fans with smooth transitions across albums. Sitting by a moss-covered piano, Swift electrifies the audience and sets the stage for “champagne problems” in a dazzling dress. She sings hits from her album “1989” and later dives into a virtual “pool.” Her lyricism is as immersive as her diving and with each transition, her outfit changes to reflect the progression through her albums. She parades the stages with confidence, with her attire including Versace shapewear and Christian Louboutin boots.

Swift’s musical evolution, as shown in “The Eras Tour,” unfolds through various stages in her career. Using her seamless transitions, the album covers resemble the turning pages of a book. She takes us down memory lane with chart toppers like “Blank Space,” “Anti-Hero” and “All Too Well.” Swift performs with every fiber of her soul.

One of the highlights of “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” is the directorial focus on the significance of each musical period throughout Swift’s career. From the country twang of her early days to the synth-pop feeling of the “1989” era and the introspective career turn of “Reputation,” fans are treated to a chronological exploration of Swift’s musical evolution. The incorporation of interviews and commentary from Swift adds a personal touch, allowing viewers to connect with the artist on a deeper level.

The audience feels as if they are right there at the stadium, cheering her on. Her performances are intimately captivating; she played “betty” in a familiar rustic fashion with every guitar strum, telling the tale of a fictional character, James, who fell in love with a girl named Betty.

As an avid Swiftie, I enjoyed being part of the “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” film experience. The overhead shots of Swift sashaying across the stage, close-up shots of her hugging children and blowing fans kisses were visual treats that made me feel like I was there. The movie showcased the multifaceted sides of Swift: strong, vulnerable and bold. 

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” is a heartfelt gift to fans who could not attend the concert as a way to treat themselves to the audiovisual spectacle that is Swift’s “The Eras Tour.”

I appreciate the film’s ability to showcase the hard work put into producing every concert. There are several scenes that pan to backstage moments, such as workers designing the brilliant set and meticulously crafting an edited recording that goes into the technical aspects of putting on a concert.

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” was viewed by a host of diverse audiences. Demographics polled ranked Caucasian at 59%, Latino and Hispanic at 25%, Black at 3% and Asian/other at 13%

Swift has recently been making rounds in the media alongside National Football League star Travis Kelce. His mother, Donna Kelce, was one of the film’s audience members at a Florida screening. Donna Kelce thoroughly enjoyed the movie and mentioned that Swift is “extremely talented.”

Overall, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” is a delight for the young and old alike, offering the experience of an eccentric concert from the comfort of local cinemas.