First-year international student found unresponsive in dorm room, later pronounced dead

The outside of O’Neil Hall in Mendelsohn community. Chinmay Vashi was found unresponsive in his room on Monday, Sept. 18. MARIAM GUIRGIS/THE STATESMAN

Chinmay Vashi, an international student from India, was found unresponsive in his dorm room on Monday, Sept. 18, according to an email sent to The Statesman by Stony Brook University officials. He was later pronounced dead at Stony Brook Hospital.

“His death is not considered to be suspicious and it was determined no criminal activity was involved,” Vice President for Student Affairs Rick Gatteau said in the email.

Vashi was a first year student majoring in computer science. He lived in O’Neill Hall in Mendelsohn Community.

“At this time, no other information will be released out of respect for Chinmay Vashi’s family,” Gatteau wrote. “I join the Stony Brook community in expressing our sincerest condolences to Chinmay’s family and friends.”

This is a breaking news story. The Statesman will provide updates as they become available.

Correction 9/21/2023: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Vashi’s dorm location was confirmed by University officials in an email to The Statesman. The information was verified independently by The Statesman.

Correction 9/21/2023: A previous version of this article’s title incorrectly stated that Vashi was found dead in his dorm room. He was found unresponsive in his dorm room, and later pronounced dead at Stony Brook Hospital.