Stony Brook women’s soccer picks Hampton apart for second year in a row

Forward Reilly Rich carries the ball into Campbell’s third on Thursday, Sept. 7. Rich scored two goals in a win against Hampton on Sunday. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

Just like last year, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team picked up its first conference win in blowout fashion.

There was no trap game in store for the Seawolves (3-1-3, 1-0-1 CAA) on Sunday, who took on the Hampton Pirates (0-8-0, 0-2-0 CAA) down in Virginia and thrashed them 6-1. Though it was a far cry from last year’s historic 12-0 romping, Stony Brook still earned three points and boosted its statistics while it had the chance.

The Seawolves’ attack was intense, firing shots on goal left and right. Their first goal came in the 11th minute when midfielder Ashley Manor rifled one past Hampton goalkeeper Alexis Deveaux and into the bottom right of the net. After Hampton defender Leah Johnson committed a foul in the box, the Seawolves were awarded a penalty kick in the 17th minute. Forward Reilly Rich took the penalty and slotted it into the bottom left of the goal, giving the team a 2-0 lead.

Despite Stony Brook’s mounting pressure on the offensive end, the Pirates were able to find a crack in the Seawolves’ defense right before halftime. Late in the 42nd minute, Hampton forward Mattie Edozie set up forward Madisyn Strange, whose strike found the top right of the net, narrowing Stony Brook’s lead to 2-1.

The Seawolves dominated the first half, taking 12 shots and landing eight on goal. They also won five corner kicks. However, they struggled to capitalize on a vast majority of their opportunities.

That was not the case in the second half, as Stony Brook scored another four times and continued to push the envelope. Just 34 seconds into the second half, midfielder Allie Palangi set up fellow midfielder Linn Beck with her second goal of the year. Less than 10 minutes later, midfielder Gabby Daniels struck a shot over Deveaux’s left shoulder for her first goal of the season, giving her team a 4-1 lead.

In the 62nd minute, Hampton committed another foul in the box of the game — this time by defender Makayla Wade. Once again, Rich took the penalty and tucked it away in the bottom left corner to make it 5-1. In the 89th minute, Manor took a shot that Deveaux saved, but forward Hannah Maracina buried the rebound for her first goal of the season.

The Seawolves blistered the Pirates’ defense and finished the game with 27 shots, landing 15 on goal. Deveaux had to work hard and managed to save nine of those shots. Rich and Palangi co-led the team with five shots apiece. Daniels led the team with three shots on goal.

In total, 10 different Stony Brook players landed a shot on target. Defenders Catharina von Drigalski and Sophia Racioppi, along with forwards Luciana Setteducate and Graceann Murphy, each contributed a shot on goal.

Goalkeeper Nicolette Pasquarella had an easy day at the office and only faced three shots — two of which she saved. Hampton only totaled seven shots as a team.

The Seawolves will return to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Thursday to take on the Delaware Blue Hens. The Blue Hens are 3-3-2 overall this year and 0-1-1 in conference play after losing 1-0 to William & Mary on Sunday. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 6:31 p.m.