Stony Brook softball takes two of three in Battle at the Bay tournament

First baseman Ashley Jacobson taking batting practice on Wednesday, Feb. 8. Jacobson went 3-for-7 in the Hampton/Norfolk Battle at the Bay tournament last weekend. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

A great weekend from starting pitcher Mia Haynes helped the Stony Brook softball team get back to .500 on the year.

Participating in the Norfolk/Hampton Battle at the Bay tournament, the Seawolves (4-4) took on three different teams down in Norfolk, Va. On Friday, Stony Brook played a doubleheader and dominated the Buffalo Bulls 8-0 before losing 11-3 to the Norfolk State Spartans. After getting Saturday off, the team beat the Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) Blue Devils 8-3 on Sunday.

Against Buffalo, the Seawolves had an early chance to score with the bases loaded and nobody out in the bottom of the first inning — but they left them loaded and squandered the opportunity. However, Stony Brook gave itself the same opportunity in the third inning after singles from center fielder Alicia Orosco, shortstop Kyra McFarland and left fielder Alyssa Costello. 

After a strikeout by catcher Corinne Badger, first baseman Ashley Jacobson stepped up to the plate and notched a two-run single to right-center field. Designated player Catherine Anne Kupinski followed with a sacrifice fly to extend Stony Brook’s lead to 3-0.

Stony Brook’s offense continued to rake in the fourth inning. With two outs, the Seawolves racked up five-straight two-out hits to break the game open. Costello lined an RBI single to left field and was followed with a base hit by Badger. With two on and two out, Jacobson doubled home a pair to the right-center field gap to make it 6-0 Stony Brook. 

The Seawolves were not done with their two-out magic. Two batters later, Kupinski ripped a two-run home run to make it 8-0. It was her first home run of the season, and it ended the game by mercy rule.

While Stony Brook’s potent offense headlined the game, the pitching and defense were just as dominant. Haynes was almost spotless. She pitched a complete-game, five-inning shutout for Stony Brook while striking out a season-best six batters. She only allowed three hits and two walks.

In the second game of the day, Stony Brook had the favor returned by Norfolk State. The offensive fire from the previous game was extinguished by Norfolk State starting pitcher Alexis Robinson. She held Stony Brook to just three hits in five innings pitched. 

The Spartans took an early lead against Stony Brook, scoring five runs in the bottom of the second inning off pitcher Ashton Melaas. 

The Seawolves tried to mount a comeback, but could not get an offensive spark going until the fourth inning. Badger drove a two-run home run to center field, getting Stony Brook back into the thick of things.

The fourth inning turned a poor outing into a nightmarish one for Melaas. Norfolk State scored six runs on seven hits, ballooning its lead to 11-2. A sacrifice fly by McFarland in the top of the fifth inning was not enough to get Stony Brook out of the mercy rule. The Spartans held on to win it, handing the Seawolves their only loss of the tournament.

Stony Brook was originally scheduled to play another two games on Saturday, but those games were canceled. Instead, it faced CCSU on Sunday and bounced back from the blowout loss. 

The Seawolves scored early and often against the Blue Devils. Badger started the scoring in the top of the first inning when she knocked another two-run homer to center field. 

Two innings later, Costello put Stony Brook up 5-0 with a three-run bomb over the right-center field fence. An RBI single in the top of the fourth by McFarland gave Stony Brook a commanding six-run lead.

CCSU broke up the shutout in the bottom of the fifth inning when designated player Kim Howard launched a two-run homer off of Haynes. In the next inning, the Blue Devils continued to rally when first baseman Grace Lawton hit a solo home run to make it 6-3 Stony Brook.

However, a ghastly seventh inning by CCSU pitcher Tiffany Lubanski allowed Stony Brook to ice the game. Three walks, a hit-by-pitch and a wild pitch let the Seawolves score two more runs to secure the victory.

Haynes struck out a career-high 13 batters and tossed another complete game. She allowed just three earned runs on seven hits. 

Head coach Megan Bryant praised her team for bouncing back on Sunday. 

“I’m proud of our team for our effort today and for the way we responded after our loss to NSU,” Bryant said in an interview with Stony Brook Athletics. “We played well in all facets of our game and competed. Mia gave us a gritty performance in the circle. It’s a good team win as we continue our progress.”

The middle of Stony Brook’s order was very strong. Badger went 3-for-8 with her first two home runs of the year, four RBIs, four runs scored and a hit-by-pitch. Costello went 4-for-9 with a home run, four RBIs, five runs and a hit-by-pitch. Jacobson went 3-for-7 with a double, a walk, three RBIs, a run and a hit-by-pitch. 

Orosco and McFarland did a good job setting the table. Orosco went 3-for-8 with a double and two runs scored. McFarland went 4-for-7 with three runs scored, two walks, two RBIs, a sacrifice fly and a stolen base. McFarland did struggle on defense, committing three errors in the series.

Haynes was outstanding on the mound, allowing only three earned runs on 10 hits in 12 innings pitched. She struck out 19 batters while walking only five.

Stony Brook will play one more tournament before its conference season begins. The team is scheduled to participate in the Florida International University (FIU) Tournament next weekend. The Seawolves’ first game of the tournament will be on Friday, March 3 at 10 a.m. against the Stonehill College Skyhawks.