USG kicks off Halloween with SpookyBrook festivities

A giant clown inflatable during USG’s SpookyBrook festival. Students were able to enjoy multiple days of events during the 2022 Halloween season. TIM GIORLANDO/THE STATESMAN

On Saturday, Oct. 29, the Undergraduate Student Government hosted SpookyBrook at the Student Activities Center (SAC). The event lasted from  7 p.m. to 11 p.m. 

Students enjoyed Halloween-themed festivities, including an escape room, a haunted house, a zombie maze and a costume contest. The approximately 700 attendees also danced to loud music, took photos at the photo booth and visited bounce houses.

Sophomore business major and marching band member Charlie Vecchio said that the bounce house was his favorite activity at SpookyBrook. 

For those who were not looking for a jump scare, there was the Student Engagement & Activities (SEA) chill zone where attendees enjoyed movies with refreshments. 

Clubs and Greek life displayed poster boards of their organizations. 

Sophia Su, a sophomore studying psychology and representing the Science Olympiad, said the club liked “promoting [themselves] and doing science-related stuff.”

Jonathan Chen, a senior majoring in marine biology who promoted Science Olympiad along with Su, said that the club wanted to put their “name out and spread public awareness”. 

The lacrosse team offered a spooky twist to the classic bean bag toss with a hand and leg tossing game. Participants had the chance to earn candy if they made at least one shot. 

Students saw SpookyBrook as an escape from the everyday stress of being a college student. Anthony Hanes, a junior pursuing a degree in environmental design policy and planning, was on stage playing music for people to listen to and dance if they desired.

Hanes said that he enjoyed being able to “Unwind, have fun [and] be creative,” adding that he also “really love[s] candy.” 

Most attendees came in costume, including Hanes, who dressed up as Dr. Facilier from Disney’s “The Princess and the Frog.” 

“It’s one of my favorite movies of all time,” Hanes said.

At the picture booth, there were many options for poses including a sledgehammer and Halloween-oriented masquerade eye masks. 

“I really love seeing everybody come out in their costumes and be creative so I’m really excited to see what people are gonna bring,” Hanes said, referring to attendees’ costumes.