Stony Brook men’s soccer suffers crucial loss to hurt playoff hopes

Midfielder Trevor Harrison receiving a pass from forward Selcuk Kahveci in a game against Charleston on Saturday, Oct. 8. The Stony Brook men’s soccer team lost to Delaware on Saturday to put its playoff lives in jeopardy. KAYLA GOMEZ MOLANO/THE STATESMAN

Despite forward Jonas Bičkus’ multi-goal effort, the Stony Brook men’s soccer team could not muster up a win against last-place Delaware.

The Seawolves (4-9, 2-5 CAA) still find themselves winless against conference rivals on the road this season, and their 3-2 loss to Delaware on Saturday severely hurt their playoff chances. Stuart & Suzanne Grant Stadium was the site of a high-scoring affair that saw Delaware end its conference-win drought against Stony Brook. 

The game jumped out to a quick start, as Delaware mishandled the ball within their final third, allowing Bičkus to take a cross and score just 65 seconds in. Stony Brook seemed in control, employing a six-man backline and sitting in a defense shell to ride the rest of the game out. For the first 20 minutes, this worked to a tee, as the Seawolves’ defense dominated possession and gave the offense plenty of opportunities to extend their lead. 

However, Stony Brook missed on its extra opportunities, allowing Delaware to take control. Though goalkeeper Edmond Kaiser had two key diving saves to keep the Blue Hens off the board, Delaware forward Orri Thorhallsson scored from the far post to tie the game at 1-1. 

Straight out of halftime, Delaware struck in the 48th minute when forward Sam Donnellan put a shot past Kaiser to take a 2-1 lead. 

Almost seven minutes later, Delaware caught Stony Brook on a counter-attacking play to extend its lead. Donnellan scored his second goal, putting another one past Kaiser in a one-on-one situation. 

Down two goals, Stony Brook upped the pressure in the 70th minute and cut into the lead with another goal from Bičkus. The Seawolves spent the next 20 minutes and 15 seconds looking for the equalizer, but could not find it. 

The win for Delaware was not only its first conference win of the year, but also its first conference win since March 14, 2021 against Northeastern. Delaware outshot Stony Brook 19-9. Delaware also had more shots on goal, with seven compared to Stony Brook’s three. 

Crucial fouls and blunders within the final third of the pitch allowed Delaware to get easy chances to score and burn through the clock. Stony Brook’s 19 fouls to Delawares’ 8 proved to be a key difference in the game. 

Bičkus’ performance was his second multi-goal game of the year. He previously accomplished the feat against Saint Peter’s on Aug. 29. The goals were his fifth and sixth of the year. He scored four goals all of last year during his America East Rookie of the Year campaign.

The Seawolves’ next game is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 18 on the road against Temple. It will be their last non-conference matchup of the season. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. Temple is 3-7-2 this season, as it is fresh off of a 1-0 victory at Florida Atlantic.