Stony Brook women’s soccer held scoreless for second straight game

Defender Catharina von Drigalski playing against Hampton on Sept. 25. The Seawolves were shut out by Monmouth on Sunday. CAMRON WANG/THE STATESMAN

Despite only allowing a single goal, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team now finds itself in the midst of a two-game losing streak.

The Seawolves (4-7-2, 1-2-1 CAA) continued on their road trip on Sunday, Oct. 2 against the Monmouth Hawks. The Hawks managed to score the only goal of the game, while the Seawolves just could not find the back of the net despite a strong offensive effort, leading to a 1-0 Monmouth victory. 

The Hawks scored the game’s lone goal on a penalty kick by defender Chloe Ferreira with less than eight minutes left in the first half. Following the goal, the rest of the match played out evenly with both teams displaying an immense effort on offense, but it was Monmouth who stayed on top to secure the win. 

Although the Seawolves were unable to score, they still made a valiant effort on offense, especially with their accuracy while shooting. The team made a total of 10 shots, with every single one landing on target. Forwards Luciana Setteducate and Gabrielle Côté each attempted three shots along with one each from midfielders Linn Beck, Ashley Manor and Gabby Daniels.

For the second straight game, Stony Brook was outshot by its opponent. Monmouth took a total of 16 shots with 10 on goal. Seven different Hawks tallied a shot on goal against Stony Brook. Ferreira along with forwards A’Liah Moore and Summer Reimet each racked up two shots on goal.

Goalkeeper Nicolette Pasquarella continues to be a strong asset for Stony Brook in the net. Pasquarella made a total of nine saves during the match against the Hawks. This was the second-highest number of saves for Pasquarella, trailing only her 11 saves from a Sept. 11 match against UPenn.

Offensively, the Seawolves lacked the ability to generate corner kicks. The team only attempted one corner for the entire match. The Hawks had a total of 10 corner kicks throughout the match. 

After this match, the Seawolves now sit in 10th place out of 12 in the CAA women’s soccer standings. They are currently five points back of the top team in the standings Drexel with a 3-1 CAA record. 

Stony Brook will continue on the road for its next conference game against the Delaware Blue Hens on Thursday, Oct. 6 at 6 p.m. The Blue Hens will also look to improve in the standings, as they are currently 2-6-2 overall and 0-4-1 in conference matches. They are coming off of a 1-1 tie against Towson on Sunday.