The best rom-coms and dramas to get you into the fall spirit

Watch When Harry Met Sally
The official movie poster for “When Harry Met Sally.” The movie is a classic romantic comedy set in Manhattan during autumn.  PUBLIC DOMAIN

As the weather gets colder and the sweaters come out, we all lean into our comfort habits like reading, cooking or watching our favorite movies. The right meal, book or film can even get us in the fall mood and help us ease the transition of seasons. For instance, many people even make it a tradition to rewatch their favorite fall movies to officially start the season each year.  

Some studies have shown that watching movies we enjoy can help us relax and relieve stress in the body. They can also provide distraction and create a sense of ease in your mind.

There are many things that make a good autumn movie; however, the most important aspect is the setting of the film. The environment needs to have gloomy weather but also be an inviting place for the audience to dream about. 

In no particular order, here are some fall movie suggestions to get you into the warm and cozy spirit.

When Harry Met Sally

This Nora Ephron classic is a must-see fall favorite. It is about two people who keep meeting throughout their lives and eventually become friends, after both going through bad break-ups. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal’s chemistry is impeccable and exciting to watch. This movie takes place in Manhattan during the crisp autumn months and is a classic romantic comedy to add to your list.

Little Women

Whether it’s the 2019 or the 1994 version, “Little Women” is perfect for the start of fall. Set in post-Civil War America, this classic story is about the four March sisters and each of their journeys through self discovery. All of these women have obligations to their family and society, but each of them handles it in their own way. This film is set in Massachusetts with the beautiful natural surroundings of the colorful trees as the background.

You’ve Got Mail

This is another Meg Ryan romantic-comedy that embodies fall. Ryan’s character is a local bookshop owner, and Tom Hanks’ character owns a big, corporate bookstore close to hers. In real life they don’t get along; however they both unknowingly email each other anonymously online. In their secret messaging, they start to fall in love, but don’t know it in real life. This movie is set in New York City and is a perfect sweater-filled film.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

The first Harry Potter movie fills so many people with nostalgia; that’s why this is a great movie for autumn. This film takes place during the first year that the young wizard Harry Potter starts at Hogwarts, the infamous school of magic. He meets friends, learns more about his past and even has his own adventures. This iconic start to the iconic series is a great cozy movie to enjoy with some popcorn and butterbeer.

Twilight Series

This entire vampire-filled series is set in rainy, cold Forks, Wash. New student Bella starts at a high school and falls in love with a mysterious vampire named Edward. This film is a cringy, blue-tinted, classic romantic story — and it’s great. This series recently went through a beloved renaissance during the pandemic and has been a cult classic for years.

These classic films can all be found on multiple different streaming platforms, along with many others that embody the fall spirit.