Stony Brook women’s soccer scores 12 goals, breaks program record

Midfielder Linn Beck (left) celebrating a goal with forward Reilly Rich (right) in the game on Sunday, Sept. 25 against Hampton. The Stony Brook women’s soccer team picked up their first CAA victory in historic fashion against the Pirates. CAMRON WANG/THE STATESMAN

In the highest-scoring performance in program history, the Stony Brook women’s soccer team picked up its first win in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA). 

The Seawolves (4-5-2, 1-0-1 CAA) were historically dominant on both ends of the field at home against Hampton on Sept. 25, as they shattered the school record for goals without surrendering a single shot attempt. Stony Brook trounced Hampton 12-0, ending their six-game winless streak in the process.

Stony Brook previously scored nine goals in one game against Iona in 1993 when they were a Division III program, a record that has stood since then.

Stony Brook scored 16 goals during the entirety of last season.

The stage was set in the 16th minute when midfielder Ashley Manor scored her first career goal off of an assist from defender Catharina von Drigalski. Only 37 seconds later, midfielder Linn Beck doubled their lead with a goal assisted by forward Luciana Setteducate. Just under 10 minutes later, forward Reilly Rich padded the lead with a goal of her own.

Within five minutes of halftime, defender Sammy Hannwacker joined the party and extended the Seawolves’ lead to 4-0.

“I think we just played with a little bit more confidence,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame interview with The Statesman.

Stony Brook did not take its foot off of the gas in the second half, unleashing a scoring barrage twice the size of their first-half onslaught. The Seawolves tallied another eight goals after halftime, which was more than they scored during their six-game winless streak combined. 

Von Drigalski helped facilitate the Stony Brook explosion, as she recorded three assists within the first 12 minutes of the second half. Two of her assists went to Beck, while the other went to midfielder Jadyn Lui. Following Rich’s second goal of the match, von Drigalski scored her own goal to make it 9-0 with still over 25 minutes left to play. Her goal tied the program record for most goals scored in a single match. 

Rich now has seven goals on the season, which matches Alyssa Francese’s 2021 team-leading total.

“It felt so good to secure a win today, especially on our home turf,” Rich said in a postgame interview with Stony Brook Athletics. “I think it gives us a lot of momentum moving forward in CAA play. It was overall a great team effort with multiple people getting on the scoresheet … I am looking forward to the rest of our season and excited to keep growing with this team and see what else we can do in conference play.”

The Seawolves endured a miniature drought and almost missed their chance to crack double-figures. After going nearly 20 minutes without scoring a goal, forward Hannah Maracina broke the scoring record with a goal off of an assist from defender Rachael Peters. Just 57 seconds later, defender Angelina Lent extended their record with her first career goal. With exactly three minutes remaining, midfielder Kaylee Armenia scored her first career goal on a penalty kick to finish the scoring.

“It was a good performance overall,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “Every time you have a chance to score 12 goals, that is something special and I’m pretty sure that is a broken record. So therefore I’m happy with our performance overall today.” 

Nine total Seawolves scored in Sunday’s match. Three different players — Manor, Lent and Armenia — scored their first career goals. 

“Everybody had a chance to step on the field,” Bischof said. “There was a lot of goals from players who scored their first career goal or first goal during the season so those are always a little bit more special. So I’m happy for those players.”

Stony Brook distributed the ball at an incredible rate, as seven different Seawolves recorded an assist. Von Drigalski led the way with four assists, followed by Setteducate’s two. Midfielder Gabby Daniels, forward Gabrielle Côté and defender Madison Sleiman also contributed to the scoreboard with assists of their own. 

As for Beck, it was the first multi-goal game of her career. She now has five goals in total this season. Her hat trick was the first by a Seawolf since former forward Alyssa Francese scored three goals against Vermont on Sept. 26, 2021.

“It was a good win to gain confidence for us as a team,” Beck said. “I think for the hat trick, you just have to stay focused the entire 90 minutes no matter the score. The high-energy of the team today played into it, too. It was a fun game and we’ll take that spirit into the next one.” 

The Seawolves attempted a season-high 29 total shots with 19 on goal. The Seawolves also totaled a season-high of 13 corner kicks and 11 assists. 

The suffocating defense for Stony Brook helped the goalkeepers post their first clean sheet of the season. All four goalkeepers on the roster appeared in the match. Nicolette Pasquarella, Emerson Richmond Burke, Ava King and Jordan Wolf all played in the game and did not have to record a single save. Pirate goalkeepers Sydney Johnson and Olexia Mitchell only saved seven of Stony Brook’s 19 shots on goal. 

“It’s not the defense, it’s the whole team,” Bischof said. “Our defense starts all the way up front with our forward line and we expect everybody to help us to play defense. We expect everybody to help with offense, too, and I think we did this today. We got a couple of goals from defenders, so I was happy to see that.”

After this historic victory, the Seawolves will kick off a four-game road trip beginning on Thursday, Sept. 29. They will travel to Boston to take on the Northeastern Huskies. Northeastern is currently 3-4-3 on the year, and are 0-1-1 in the CAA. The Huskies collected their first point of the conference season in a 0-0 tie against Towson on Sunday.

Melanie Karniewich contributed reporting.