Commuter Student Association hosts drive-in movie

A stock illustration of a drive-in movie. The Commuter Student Association (CSA) hosted a drive-in screening of Everything Everywhere All At Once in Lot 40 on Sept. 21. PUBLIC DOMAIN

On Wednesday, Sept. 21, the Commuter Student Association held a drive-in movie for all commuters showing Everything Everywhere All At Once in the South Parking Lot. 

The event started at 6:30 p.m. with glow in the dark lawn games, including corn hole. There were food trucks that served tacos, pizzas and free popcorn before the start of the movie. Even though it was a drive-in movie, students who did not have a car were able to come and sit on picnic blankets, and a few chairs were set up. The movie began at 7:30pm.

Commuters at Stony Brook make up 50% of the campus population. Events like these are held to encourage commuter student involvement on campus.

“I really like doing random events through the Corq app and I also have a commuter assistant who recommended this event,” said Emily Nguyen, a freshman Health Science major who commutes.

The Commuter Assistant Program pairs new commuter students with student volunteers who help mentor them. This program makes it easier for commuters to be involved and connected on campus by helping them find events and build relationships with other students. Student have to sign up for this program and request a peer-mentor.

“I really want to get involved with the commuter organization but this was the first event, [and] I’ve gotten closer to a lot of commuters,” said Melissa Ulloa, a freshman engineering science student who also commutes.  

Although this event was hosted by the Commuter Student Organization, it was also open to resident students.

“I don’t feel involved on campus, but I’m definitely looking to get into more events, such as these,” said Amelia Zois, a freshman undecided major who lives on campus.

For some students, events like the drive-in movie provide a much-needed break from schoolwork and help relieve some of their stress. It also gives them something to do between and after classes. 

“I’m glad that there are so many events to do on campus, it makes me feel less like I’m on a routine and this also fills up some of my free time,” Nguyen said.