Stony Brook women’s soccer ties for first time this year

Forward Aneta Sovakova in a game against Manhattan University on Sept. 15. The Stony Brook woman’s soccer team broke its losing streak with a tie on Thursday night. KAYLA GOMEZ MOLANO/THE STATESMAN

A late goal helped the Stony Brook women’s soccer team snap their four-game losing streak.

The Seawolves (3-5-1) returned home to Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium to host the Manhattan Jaspers on Thursday, Sept. 15. Entering with a four-game losing streak, Stony Brook played a much better game on both ends of the field, leading them to a 1-1 tie against the Jaspers. 

The Jaspers drew first blood in the 28th minute when midfielder Sami Derrico scored off of an assist from defender Julia Nicholas. The Seawolves played catchup for the majority of the night until late in the second half. With less than 15 minutes to play, Stony Brook produced a corner kick and tied the game with a goal from midfielder Gabby Daniels. Neither team found the scoreboard after that, leading to a 1-1 draw. 

This game saw a vast turnaround by the Stony Brook defense, as they allowed their lowest shot total in a single game on Thursday night. 

“I mean, we didn’t really give up anything,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “We gave up three shots overall in 90 minutes. That is a good number, the problem is we gave up one of those shots. Keeping a Division I team to only three shots overall in 90 minutes is defensively a good performance, but obviously we can always improve.”

Defenders Kerry Pearson and Morayo Adenegan helped anchor the Seawolves’ defense with strength and persistence. The Jaspers offense only managed to attempt three total shots with two on target. In her return to the lineup, goalkeeper Emerson Richmond Burke made the only save of the game for the Seawolves. Her and Nicolette Pasquarella protected the net against the Jaspers’ offense. 

The Stony Brook offense was strong throughout the game, generating nine corner kicks and attempting 18 total shots. Of the Seawolves’ 18 shots, five were on goal. This game saw the Seawolves post their second-highest shot total for a single match this year, only trailing their opening night game against Fordham (19).

“The performance was good,” Bischof said. “The result obviously wasn’t what we wanted. We had the ball constantly in their half, recording 66 percent of the possession. It was honestly just the one mistake that cost us the result. They had two shots on goal and unfortunately, one went in.”

Stony Brook will stay home for their next game to take on the William & Mary Tribe at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium. The game will kickoff on Thursday, Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. The Tribe are coming off of a 2-0 win against Longwood on Thursday and are 3-4-1 on the year. The match will also be William & Mary’s first conference game of the 2022 season.