Monkeypox vaccines are being administered at the Edie Windsor Health Care Center

A person receiving a vaccine. Stony Brook University announced that the monkeypox vaccine will be administered on campus. CHRISTIAN EMMER/CC BY-NC 4.0

Stony Brook University’s Division of Student Affairs announced via email that the monkeypox vaccine is being administered at the Edie Windsor Health Care Center. 

The email was sent out at 4:32 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 12 by Dr. Marisa Bisiani, the assistant vice president of Student Health, Wellness and Prevention Services.

The monkeypox vaccine, also known as the JYNNEOS vaccine, will be administered by Stony Brook Medicine and Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. Vaccinations are by appointment only.

Individuals who are eligible to receive the vaccine include those exposed to monkeypox within the last 14 days and those who are considered high risk. 

Those who have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 10 days and people with COVID-19 symptoms — including fever, chills, headache, abdominal pain, cough, fatigue, diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, rash or muscle aches — are not eligible to receive the monkeypox vaccine. 

Individuals must be at least 18 years old to receive the vaccination. 

The Stony Brook Student Support Team offers transportation for students who do not have the means to travel to and from the Edie Windsor Health Care Center, which is located in Hampton Bays. 

Individuals experiencing symptoms of monkeypox should seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms may include a blister-like rash, fever, chills, exhaustion and headache. For a full list of symptoms, visit the CDC website.