Struggles on defense sink Stony Brook women’s soccer against Providence

A group of players in action for the Stony Brook women’s soccer team against Providence on Sept. 4. The Seawolves fell back to .500 after the loss. KAYLA GOMEZ MOLANO/THE STATESMAN

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team put up a fight in the second half, but it was not enough. 

The Seawolves (3-3) hosted the Providence Friars at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 4 for their sixth game of the season. The Friars’ offense ran circles around the Stony Brook defense and handed Stony Brook a 4-2 loss.  

Providence forward Gillian Kenney started the scoring 34 minutes in when she shot the ball to the back of the net off of an assist from forward Meg Hughes. Nine minutes later, midfielder Angie Suaza made a long shot from the 20-yard line which put the Friars up 2-0. In the second half, the Friars continued their dominance when Hughes made her own goal off of an assist from forward Elayna Grillakis. The game was sealed when Providence midfielder Hannah Pinkus tapped the ball in off of an assist from forward Kyla Gallagher. 

“From a technical point, we did pretty good,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame interview with The Statesman. “We obviously played the way we played for a reason; you’ve got to give credit to Providence. Providence is a very dynamic team up front, so we tried to take spaces away from them. Did it work, did it not work? It’s hard to say. A couple of individual mistakes costed us the results we were looking for.” 

Even though the Seawolves have started their first losing streak of the season, the team still took advantage of some opportunities on the field. During the second half, defender Catharina von Drigalski made her first goal of the season off of an assist from midfielder Linn Beck. This was also von Drigalski’s second career goal. 

In the second half, defender Morayo Adenegan made her first goal of the season off of an assist from forward Reilly Rich. Off of a corner kick, Adenegan was in the right spot in the goal box to send the ball into the back of the net. 

For the second game in a row, Stony Brook’s offense took only five shots. The Friars had the upper hand with a total of 31 shots, with 17 on goal – their highest totals of the season. 

Goalkeepers Nicolette Pasquarella and Ava King made a combined total of 13 saves for the match. King’s seven saves against Providence is a personal season high. Pasquarella also made another six saves. 

Despite another poor defensive performance, Bischof is not concerned about his team.

“We’re still a young team so we are going to get better game-by-game and play a very offensive game when we have the chance,” Bischof said. “I saw some good things from us today, which we can build on, but obviously when you look at the scoreboard, the result isn’t what we wanted.” 

The Seawolves will travel to New York City this Thursday for their next game against the Columbia Lions. Opening kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. The Lions are currently 1-1-1 after losing 2-0 at No. 17 Georgetown on Sunday.