Oscars 2022: The height of Hollywood glamour

Oscar Academy Award with Oscars 2022 text on a red background. This year’s red carpet showcased a range of looks from classic simplicity to glitz and glamor. JERNEJ FURMAN/CC BY 2.0

The Oscars are one of the biggest award shows for Hollywood, but what viewers remember — more than who got slapped on stage — is who wowed on the red carpet. This year’s carpet showcased a range of looks from classic simplicity to the glitz and glamor usually reserved for the Oscars. 

Zoë Kravtiz stunned in a simple pink floor-length gown by Saint Laurent. The gown’s pale pink shade made Kravtiz stand out from both the glittery and dark and moody looks of other stars. The bow on the neckline perfectly featured the current trend of asymmetrical necklines. Her diamond choker was the perfect nod to the simple glamor of the looks of Old Hollywood; diamonds are a girl’s best friend, after all. 

Zendaya didn’t need diamonds to shine on the carpet, though they wrapped her wrists and perfectly matched her sequined skirt, which was paired with a white cropped button-down by Valentino Haute Couture. The simplicity of the crop top perfectly stressed Zendaya’s personality and added an edge of masculinity to her look. She paired the outfit with simple makeup, a glossed lip and silver shadow that the celeb did herself. 

Kristen Stewart rocked a masculine look in an open shirt and jacket with a matching pair of shorts by Chanel; the simple feminine pumps she wore juxtaposed the outfit. And of course, her look was understated, both to showcase her personality and offer a nod to the often understated looks of Princess Diana, whom Stewart played in the film “Spencer.” The classic look allowed her jewelry from the Chanel high jewelry collection to shine, including an 18-karat white gold necklace with onyx, spinel and diamonds that sparkled on her chest. The look perfectly matched Stewart’s personality and wowed on the carpet. 

Timothée Chalamet continued to drop jaws through his red carpet looks, this time showing up in a Louis Vuitton cropped sequin jacket with lace applique on the cuffs, which he wore open and bare-chested. His look stunned fans and fashion critics alike, and continued to push the boundaries of gender in fashion to truly express himself. 

Jessica Chastain wore a bold copper and purple ombre gown by Gucci, featuring a bodice that perfectly matched her hair, which she wore pulled into a high ponytail. The gown featured sequins from the shoulder to the hem, which was ruffled lilac tulle. Both the sparkle of her dress and the bold purple hue caught eyes on the carpet. 

Classic looks with mellow tones were a favorite of celebs this year. Nicole Kidman wore a bold gray-blue column dress by Armani Prive. Though the shade and cut of her silk gown were subdued, the peplum waist and train embellished with sequins and pearls added a bold Oscar-worthy flair. 

In addition, the looks of Louis Vuitton stunned on this year’s carpet. Alana Haim sparkled in a blue silk gown with scalloped embroidery, adding an air of classic elegance to the look. The embroidery was a mix of tube beads and sequins to create a sparkly and textured look. Renate Reinsve wore a dress from Vuitton’s 2022 Spring-Summer collection; though the designer paired the dress with jeans for the runway show, it was perfectly styled for the carpet, in this case, paired with simple black pumps and silver and diamond jewelry. The dress featured a mix of textured fabrics and black sequins. The dress gets its bold feel from gold lace designs towards the hem and gold buttons down the front. 

This year’s Oscars perfectly showed the glitz and glamor of Hollywood high fashion, while still allowing celebrities to showcase their personalities. The looks wowed audiences almost as much as the drama that ensued.