SBU’s African Student Union’s fashion show set to return

ASU models strike a pose while wearing clothes from “Le Rovet” by Bernan Doll at ASU’s fashion show on Friday,  April 10, 2015. The ASU Fashion Show is returning this spring semester. NATHALY SIERRA / THE STATESMAN

For the first time since 2019, the African Student Union (ASU) will host the ASU Fashion Show this spring. 

The ASU Fashion Show has been a tradition on the SBU campus for years, but since the COVID-19 pandemic put a stop to large in-person events on campus, students could not walk the runway. 

This week, the ASU held try-outs for their highly anticipated fashion show and discussed their plans to showcase the beauty and versatility of African fashion and beauty.

“This is the first fashion show on SBU’s campus since my freshman year in 2019,” ASU President Mohambe Toure said. “The fashion show is a cultural event that highlights some of our fashion, our music, our dances and our traditions. It’s been a while since we’ve had one on campus.”

Passionate and dedicated to the organization’s mission to represent African nations, the senior Africana studies major intends to work with students to give audience members “a taste of Africa.”

“Everyone seems to have their own stigmas [surrounding] Africa and what they think Africa looks like. We want to show them what African culture looks like through our lens … what we live and experience as students on this campus,” Toure said.

Though inclusive and open to all students, members of the African Student Union regard the organization as a safe space, especially for peers with personal or cultural connections to African countries. 

“It’s been nice meeting people that are just like me,” ASU Secretary Linda Oppong said. “In terms of culture, they can relate to me, even if they’re from another African country. I feel like we have basic commonalities where we’re able to build a relationship … It’s a place for me to network and build relationships that will hopefully carry on after college.” 

The fashion show will be held on March 26. Ticket sale dates are yet to be announced.

While the show’s theme has not yet been revealed to the public, Toure promises that the experience will not be like anything the campus has seen before.