Deborah F. Stanley, SUNY Oswego president, appointed SUNY interim chancellor

The official banner for The State University of New York (SUNY). Deborah F. Stanley, president of SUNY at Oswego, will act as the interim chancellor. PUBLIC DOMAIN

The State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees announced on Dec. 20 that Deborah F. Stanley, president of SUNY at Oswego, will act as interim chancellor in place of Jim Malatras following his resignation

According to the press release from SUNY, Stanley was selected based on her 45 combined years of higher administration leadership. Her role as interim chancellor will officially begin Jan. 15. 

“I do not take lightly our responsibility to make sure we are providing a safe and welcoming environment that allows our students to grow academically and provide the foundation to pursue and reach their goals and dreams,” Stanley said in the press release. “During this leadership transition, their success will be my highest priority, and I look forward to leading this great university system to new heights.”

Stanley holds a bachelor’s degree and a juris doctorate from Syracuse University. She led Oswego’s School of Education and School of Business to national accreditation, and aided in the creation of the School of Communications, Media and the Arts. Stanley also established the Oswego Presidential Scholarship program and the Oswego Guarantee, which ensures students can complete a bachelor’s degree in four consecutive years. 

“We at Stony Brook University look forward to working with Interim Chancellor Deborah F. Stanley,” President Maurie McInnis said in a statement to The Statesman. 

A global search for a permanent chancellor will begin in January, according to the SUNY Board of Trustees. They will partner with an executive search firm to scout candidates for the position. 

“With President Stanley’s decades of leadership, commitment to academic excellence, and her unwavering support for students, she is well-positioned to serve our 64 campuses with a proven record of accomplishments, integrity, and intellect,” SUNY Board Chairman Dr. Merryl H. Tisch said. “On behalf of a thankful and proud Board of Trustees, we welcome Deborah as our new interim chancellor for the State University of New York and look forward to working alongside her to build on the greatness of this world-renowned institution.”

Malatras submitted his letter of resignation on Dec. 9 after leaked emails from May 2019 revealed inappropriate comments made to former aide Lindsey Boylan, who accused former Gov. Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment.