West C Apartment residents forced to relocate to West A due to “necessary renovations”

Outside of the West apartment building A. Students living in West apartments building B will be relocated to apartment building A.  JOCELYN CRUZ / THE STATESMAN

Students living in West C Apartments are being forced to relocate to West A starting in two weeks due to “necessary renovations” being done to the residential building. 

Campus Residences said renovations to West C were delayed for many months, but will now begin at the end of this semester. 

“This is an extensive and necessary upgrade to the HVAC system and cannot be done when the building is occupied to safeguard the health and safety of the residents,” Campus Residences said in a statement to The Statesman

The move is set to take place starting Nov. 15 until Dec. 15. New room assignments will become the permanent residence for relocated students for the entire academic year, as renovations are set to end around May 2022. 

Current West C residents feel frustrated regarding the sudden notice about the relocation. 

“Now people who became great friends during the semester are being split up and don’t know if they can get into the same apartment again,” Katharina Tom, a West C resident said. 

New placements will be based on a residents’ current room type, the rate they pay and preferences given during the housing process. 

“We understand that this move is a major inconvenience for the residents, and we are dedicating every resource to support students to make this transition as smooth as possible, including providing moving help as well as moving materials,” Campus Residences said. 

Moving help will include boxes, trash bags, packing tape and movers to help bring belongings over. Floor meetings are also being held for West C residents to discuss the process.

Alissa Pabon contributed reporting.