SBU student faces 18 charges after police seize drugs in dorm room

Lauterbur Hall in Kelly Quad. A Stony Brook University student was arrested and is facing 18 charges. JOCELYN CRUZ/THE STATESMAN

A Stony Brook University student was arrested and is now being charged on more than a dozen drug counts after authorities seized substances from his on-campus dorm room, according to Lawrence Zacarese, interim chief of the University Police Department.

Domingo Zaba, 41, a student, was arrested in a parking lot outside Greeley Hall on Thursday evening. Police uncovered fentanyl, cocaine, mushrooms, Xanax, ketamine and marijuana in Zaba’s Lauterbur Hall dorm room after obtaining a search warrant.

The student had been under investigation in the few weeks leading up to his arrest after the University Police Department received an anonymous tip.

Zaba is facing 18 charges, including four counts of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the second degree, three counts of criminal sale of a controlled substance in the third degree, two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the third degree and three counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the fifth degree, among others.

Zaba was arraigned on Friday in the First District Court of Central Islip. He was placed on supervised release with GPS monitoring and is scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 3.

Joy Sze and Ethan Tam contributed reporting.