Preparing for Emmy season with triple American Horror Story releases

The official cover of American Horror Story: Double Feature. The two-part season has officially been released after a two-year wait.
PUBLIC DOMAIN

The Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuck cinematic universe is in full swing. In mid-July, the creators released “American Horror Stories,” a spin-off to the acclaimed anthology series “American Horror Story.” In addition to the seven episodes of the spin-off, the franchise just last week premiered its 10th season of “American Horror Story: Double Feature,” a two-part season debuting after a two-year wait.

“American Horror Stories” is the latest new project of the growing realm created by the duo which began in 2011 with “American Horror Story” on FX. Since then there have been nine seasons of the original horror anthology, along with other projects: “American Crime Story,” and other largely successful shows such as “Pose,” “Ratched” and many more (yes, “Glee” included).

Targeting a teen and young adult audience, “American Horror Stories” goes down a different route than its predecessors. Straying from the more classic, tasteful angst and darkness that fans expect, the spin-off falls short of the original by a long shot with the exceptions of episode five: “Ba’al” starring seasoned “American Horror Story” actress Billie Lourd.

Graded with a D rating, IndieWire sums up the season’s thought process in one sentence, “‘American Horror Stories’ feels like: a group of writers sitting around talking about what they’ve watched and listened to and trying to make a horror story out of it.”

With an ensemble of many first time actors with famous parents like Cindy Crawford’s daughter Kaia Gerber and Miley Cyrus’ sister, Noah Cyrus, many of the episodes depict some more cliched tropes while revisiting the original show’s setting and disillusioned fans with the inferences of influences and stiff performances. With an average audience score of 39% on Rotten Tomatoes, the content could be lacking, but not enough to stave off the promise of a second season.

In more recent premieres, the 10th season of “American Horror Story” is quite the opposite. Boasting a full cast of beloved AHS veterans, the season opened on Aug. 25 and aired the first and second episodes back to back.

As Murphy teased since last October there are “two horrifying stories — one by the sea and one by the sand” and has so far presented us with intriguing characters, Tuberculosis Karen by Sarah Paulson along with Vampires? Cannibals? Desperate Writers? All in dreary, but beachy Provincetown, Massachusetts.

The most anticipated and golden goose-like premiere debuts on Sept. 7 and almost guarantees a nod at the Emmys just by name, “American Crime Story: Impeachment.” With spectacular coverage online, the mini-series covers none other than the political scandal regarding the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton.

Murphy commented on how the work had been a swirling idea since before season two of “American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace” but had been tossed away due to hesitancy. With Monica Lewinsky’s permission, whose point of view the series will be in, the project came to fruition and she is credited as an executive producer.

“I came to understand even more clearly how dedicated he is to giving a voice to the marginalized in all of his brilliant work,” Lewinsky said to Vanity Fair.

With Beanie Feldstein as Lewinsky, Paulson as Linda Tripp, Clive Owen as Bill Clinton and a dozen more A-listers portraying a scandal that lives in infamy — audiences fidget with high expectations and exuberant speculations.