Stony Brook women’s soccer roughed up in season opener

Forward Alyssa Francese (No. 11) during the game against Maine. Stony Brook women’s soccer falls behind in its season opener on Aug. 18, 2021. SASCHA ROSIN/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team returned from their summer break to meet the Hofstra Pride in their season-opening game, which they lost 5-1, on Aug. 18.

Hofstra opened the scoring in the fifth minute of the game with a stunning goal.

Forward Miri Taylor was able to get the ball past a Stony Brook defender and volleyed the ball past junior goalkeeper Emerson Richmond Burke. 

Forward Lucy Shepherd was able to add another goal for Hofstra in the 12th minute of the game. Hofstra’s attackers were able to break down the Seawolves’ defense, allowing midfielder Lucy Porter and defender Anja Suttner to play the ball perfectly to Shepherd to score a tap-in. 

Freshman goalkeeper Nicolette Pasquarella entered the game at the half for her first-ever appearance, but it failed to stop the Pride’s momentum. Shepherd continued her scoring tally by adding another goal for Hofstra in the 47th minute. After a failed clearance from the Seawolves’ defense, Shepherd was able to get the ball past Pasquarella and make the score 3-0.

The Seawolves were able to get up on the scoreboard with a goal from freshman midfielder Gabby Daniels in the 53rd minute. The Seawolves took advantage of a free kick with a flick by graduate forward Alyssa Francese, which perfectly landed in front of Daniels, converting a goal for the Seawolves.

Shepherd was able to get a hat trick in the 60th minute of the game with an absolute screamer. She received the ball from forward Leah Iglesias at the top of the box for an easy goal.

Midfielder Amanda Ebbesson put the game to rest, scoring a fifth goal against the Seawolves in the 70th minute. Hofstra’s attackers were able to play quick passes, allowing Ebbesson to sneak past the Seawolves’ defense and score a wonderful goal.

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team was originally scheduled to play its home opener against the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Sunday, Aug. 22, but the match was canceled on Saturday due to inclement weather. There is no current makeup date scheduled.