SBU safety alert warns students about incoming hurricane

The National Weather Service radar as tropical storm Henri hits Long Island Sunday, Aug. 22. The storm is expected to pick up this afternoon. PUBLIC DOMAIN

BREAKING NEWS: This article will be updated as we receive more information.

Stony Brook University has issued a safety alert to all residential students ahead of Tropical Storm Henri’s expected arrival on Sunday. 

The school included information about possible cancellations or delays, changes to school services and safety tips, among other information in a recent campus-wide email. 

“Stony Brook University continues to monitor the forecast and potential impact of Hurricane Henri on our West, East, and Southampton campuses, which is expected to intensify later today and impact us in the overnight hours and tomorrow,” according to the statement.

In the event it becomes unsafe to leave the resident halls, Campus Residences advises students to stock up on food and water. Classes are still set for Monday, Aug. 23, but the administration has warned that this could change. If courses are canceled or postponed, students will be notified.

No dining halls will be open Sunday morning. West Side and East Side Dining will stay open tonight on  Saturday, Aug. 21 for students to pick up food for tonight and tomorrow. For now, both main dining halls will reopen at noon. Updates on dining halls can be found on the Stony Brook University website’s campus dining page.

The Student Union, Student Activities Center and the Walter J. Hawrys Campus Recreation & Wellness Center have closed early at 10 p.m. and will not reopen until Monday, Aug. 23 at 7:30 a.m.

Students should charge their cell phones, laptops and portable battery chargers to prepare for a potential power outage. 

Students who were planning to move into the residence halls on Sunday, Aug. 22 have been advised to do so on Saturday, Aug. 21. All Sunday activities on campus have been canceled.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency for Long Island and other parts of New York on Aug 21. Henri, as it approaches Long Island, has downgraded to a tropical storm. Wind gusts will reach up to 70 mph, and the storm is expected to linger all day Sunday.

The Statesman will continue to give updates on the situation as new information becomes available.

This article was last updated on Aug. 22 at 10:10AM EST.