BREAKING: University gives resident students exclusive opportunity to get Moderna vaccine

A frontline healthcare worker receiving the vaccine at Stony Brook University. Students living on campus have the opportunity to receive their first dose of the Moderna vaccine. ALEK LEWIS/THE STATESMAN

Resident students will have the opportunity to receive the first dose of the Moderna vaccine at the Stony Brook Union on Tuesday, April 6 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

The announcement was sent in a campus wide email from Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students Rick Gattaeu, and Assistant Vice President for Student Health, Wellness and Prevention Services Marisa Bisiani. 

The university is only offering this vaccination opportunity to students who live on campus. This announcement comes two days after N.Y. Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that New Yorkers 16 and over can begin scheduling their vaccine appointments on April 6. This means all legal adults residing in New York are now eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine. 

We strongly encourage you to sign up as soon as possible to indicate your interest in receiving the vaccine,” the email stated. 

The second dose will be given on Tuesday, May 4. The email states the second dose needs to be administered at the same time as the first dose, with no exceptions.

Resident students can qualify for their first shot by filling out the interest form linked in the email. Because of the limited number of vaccines, a limited amount of students will be offered the opportunity. Those who do not receive an appointment will be updated on other vaccine distribution options, according to the email.  

Students have until April 1 at 5 p.m. to fill out the interest form. New Yorkers can also make appointments to receive the vaccine at state-run vaccination sites on New York State’s Am I Eligible website.