Stony Brook University has administered over 100,000 vaccines

The mass vaccination site at Stony Brook University. As of March 23, 100,000 vaccinations have been distributed here. SARA RUBERG/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University has administered 100,000 vaccinations at their state-run point of distribution site, as of March 23.

The university has been administering vaccines provided by the state at Research and Development Park since Jan. 18. 

“As we administer our 100,000th COVID vaccine here at Stony Brook University’s R&D Center, I am proud of our accomplishments as the largest state-run Point of Distribution vaccination site in Suffolk County,” Stony Brook President Maurie McInnis said in a press release. “We will continue this effective partnership with Governor Cuomo and New York State to end the COVID battle and close this chapter of the pandemic era.” 

Over eight million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across New York State, according to the state’s vaccine tracker dashboard.

“This massive undertaking is protecting more and more Long Islanders from coronavirus — an effort Stony Brook has been committed to and on the front lines of since day one of the pandemic — and putting surrounding communities on a path toward restoring normalcy,” State University of New York Chancellor Jim Malatras said in a statement. 

In December, Kisa King, a resident at Stony Brook University’s Hospital’s Emergency Department, was the first to receive the vaccine at the university.