Stony Brook women’s soccer shuts out NJIT in blowout win

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team in 2019 after a win against Hartford. The Seawolves defeated NJIT on March 12, 5-0. The team  SARA RUBERG/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team went up against NJIT in their third game of the America East conference on Sunday, March 12. In a blowout win at home, the Seawolves showed their complete dominance and won 5-0 — their largest margin of victory since March 2019.

Stony Brook took 14 shots on goal, their highest total of the season so far.

“It was a complete team effort,” head coach Tobias Bischof said in a postgame press release. “I really liked the energy from the team. Every team member brought themselves into the win today.”

The Seawolves pressed NJIT’s defense right from the start. Stony Brook continued to hold the ball, but was fouled in the box by an NJIT defender who ran through senior midfielder Chelsie Deponte and won a penalty. Graduate forward Alyssa Francesse walked up to take the penalty and converted the goal, shooting a low-driven shot to the bottom right corner in the 15th minute. 

The Seawolves held complete control of possession, playing most of the ball in NJIT’s half of the field. Stemming from a corner, freshman defender Kerry Pearson was able to get ahead of the ball and convert her first career goal, putting the Seawolves up 2-0 in the 22nd minute. The referee went to talk to the assistant referee to verify the ball went over the line after hitting the crossbar.

Stony Brook’s experience showed against NJIT, quickly passing the ball back and forth. Sophomore forward Leah Feato was able to sneak the ball past NJIT goalkeeper Molly Saylor, putting the Seawolves up 3-0 in the 44 minute.

The Seawolves came out at the start of the second half ready to put the game to rest, scoring a goal in the box. Sophomore defender Catharina von Drigalski was able to cross the ball from a corner for Deponte to get a header on goal with a near-post run, making the score 4-0.

With six minutes left in the match, freshman defender Michaela Goglia was able to dribble past NJIT’s defense, dropping defenders left and right before converting the game’s fifth goal and securing the Seawolves a win. 

Stony Brook extended its in-conference win streak to three games, and improved to 3-2 overall.

The Seawolves’ next match will be played at home on Sunday, March 21 against Maine.