Stony Brook women’s soccer holds Binghamton scoreless in win

Alyssa Francese during the game against Hofstra on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. The graduate forward scored the only goal in a game against Binghamton on March 14. ABHI CHERATH/STATESMAN FILE

The Stony Brook women’s soccer team played its second game of the America East season against the Binghamton Bearcats on a windy and snowy Sunday afternoon. The Seawolves (2-2, 2-0 AE) travelled to Vestal, New York on Sunday, March 14, and with an outstanding performance they were able to secure a 1-0 win. 

The first half was very energetic. During the first 10 minutes of the game, Binghamton (1-1, 1-1 AE) had complete control over the ball, putting constant pressure on the Seawolves’ backline. That did not last very long. The Seawolves retaliated, becoming more comfortable with the offensive attack. 

In the 28th minute, the Seawolves won a free kick 20 yards out from the net. Graduate forward Alyssa Francese was able to cross the ball into the box, which had six Seawolves inside waiting to get a touch. Unfortunately, no one could get a foot on the ball, and it went out for a Binghamton goal kick. 

The Seawolves were able to get their first shot on goal in the 34th minute, but Francese could not get the ball in the net, shooting the ball high to the right.

The first half was intense with both teams going back and forth, trying to find the play that would put them up on the scoreboard first. Instead, the first half came to a goalless close. 

With snow flurries and high winds starting to pick up again at the start of the second half, both teams came out of the break going for glory.

Stemming from a corner in the 57th minute of the game, Francese was able to bury the ball in the back of the net, scoring her third goal for the season. The Seawolves were able to convert a goal after four corner kicks. 

“[Senior forward] Fanny [Götteson] did a great job getting up to win the header, putting it on frame,” Francese said in a press release. “It deflected off their post player, and I was fortunate to be in the right spot to put it in just in front of the goal line.”

As the second half began to dwindle down, visibility also dropped due to snow flurries and high wind. The Bearcats began to gain momentum, wanting to equalize the Seawolves’ 1-0 lead. It was not enough, as the Bearcats missed each opportunity they had to score a goal. 

In the last two minutes of the game, the Bearcats had their best opportunity of the game, with a one-on-one against the Seawolves sophomore goalkeeper Emerson Richmond Burke. She was able to make a tremendous save, putting the ball out for a corner. 

In an entertaining game for both teams, Francese’s goal in the 57th minute was the game’s defining moment. The Bearcats missed opportunity after opportunity, but with an amazing save in the last few minutes of the match by Burke, Stony Brook was able to secure its second win of the season, continuing its unbeaten streak in the America East.

The Seawolves return to action at home on Sunday, March 21 against the NJIT Highlanders.