All classes canceled ahead of impending snowstorm

A Stony Brook University banner covered with snow on Jan. 26. The university has canceled all classes and events on Monday, Feb. 1 due to an expected snowstorm. RABIA GURSOY/THE STATESMAN

Stony Brook University has canceled all classes and events on Monday, Feb. 1 ahead of an impending snowstorm, according to a campus-wide email sent on Sunday evening.

A tweet from Stony Brook Emergency Management confirmed that this cancelation extends to both in-person and remote classes. Dining halls will have adjusted hours and locations posted online.

The campus recreation center will be open from 12-5 p.m., and the Union and Student Activities Center will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., according to a Facebook message from Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Rick Gatteau.

Remote staff should continue to work remotely and other staff may work online with the approval of their supervisors. Essential employees should still report to work on campus. 

The cancelations apply to Stony Brook Southampton, Manhattan and the university’s main campus, as well as the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Health Technology & Management, the School of Social Welfare and the School of Dental Medicine.

The email noted that students with clinical obligations should still attend rotations.

The University Medical Center and the Long Island State Veterans Home will continue to run as usual. COVID-19 testing sites on campus, including the one in the South P Lot, will be closed.