Start of Stony Brook Men’s Basketball season delayed after more postponements

Senior forward Mouhamadou Gueye jumps to make a basket during the Stony Brook Men’s Basketball home opener against Yale on Nov. 5, 2019. The first three games of the men’s basketball 2020-21 season have been canceled or postponed. EMMA HARRIS/STATESMAN FILE

The first three scheduled games of the Stony Brook men’s basketball team’s season have now been either canceled or postponed.

In the early morning of Friday, Nov. 27, it was announced that Stony Brook’s game versus the Fairfield Stags, scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 28 at 2 p.m., was being postponed to Friday, Dec. 4 at 4 p.m. The decision was made as a mutual agreement between both schools as a result of positive COVID-19 tests from Tier I individuals — game participants, staff and officials — who had possible contact with members of the Stony Brook team.

At the time of the postponement, the Fairfield game was scheduled as Stony Brook’s season opener. The Seawolves were originally supposed to open the season at Marist on Nov. 25, but the Marist team had not practiced since Nov. 1 due to positive COVID-19 tests. This forced Stony Brook to change its opening day opponent to Bryant, but that game was canceled the morning of, after a referee scheduled to work the game tested positive for COVID-19.

The postponement of the Fairfield game made a home matchup with the Sacred Heart Pioneers on Tuesday, Dec. 1 — originally the third game on the Seawolves’ schedule — the next opportunity for Stony Brook to open its season.

However, hours later, Sacred Heart announced that it would be entering a two-week shutdown of all activities after a player on the team tested positive. The earliest date the Pioneers can return to action is Dec. 11, forcing that game to also be canceled. 

Stony Brook has already replaced its game against Sacred Heart with a road matchup at Saint Peter’s, scheduled for 6 p.m. on Dec. 1.

The Sacred Heart women’s basketball team is also in a two-week shutdown period after a member of their team tested positive. Stony Brook Women’s Basketball was scheduled to play Sacred Heart on both Wednesday, Dec. 2 and Thursday, Dec. 3 at 2 p.m. Both games have canceled.

“Stony Brook is looking for a game somewhere between Dec 3-7 with a regional team. Please reach out if interested!” head coach Caroline McCombs said on Twitter.

The hastiness in postponing or canceling games between Stony Brook and its opponents comes in stark contrast to marquee power conference matchups. One between No. 1-ranked Gonzaga and Auburn on Friday morning was played as scheduled even though numerous players on the Gonzaga team tested positive for COVID-19 before the start of the game.

As it stands, the men’s basketball team will now once again await its season opener against Fairfield, this time on Friday. Considering the flexibility that the team has had to display in this opening week though, that date is far from a hard commitment.